5star vs JDM tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rage27

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can help me decide which tune to go with. I see ALOT of people praising the 5star. Is it actually better than the JDM in any way? Anyone using JDM with good/bad results? Any advice would be appreciated?

nohel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know i haven't heard of anyone running a jdm tune yet. i know every one is going to say 5star. I love mine good price and easy to deal with.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
They both do the same thing essentially but JDM is sketchy IMO. I was one of the first with a JDM tune back in early 2010 and had multiple issues. The tune its self is unlikely to cause any damage that would lead to breakage/warranty issues but if you do have any powertrain issues you better believe the dealership will check in to your PCM flash records. Long story short, on FRF we only deal with Mike at 5 Star or Livernois. Nobody has had any documented issues but you inherit risk anytime you mess with your engine's computer. If you take your truck in for service make sure you return to stock.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my 5 star for 2 weeks now no issues. Amazing the difference over stock. Mike's customer service is outstanding. No clue on the warranty. I am not worried about it, and my truck only has 750 miles on it. The performance is worth it.

OP
OP
R

rage27

Reaction score
JDM just happens to be very close to where I live. I might have them install the roush intake and exhaust and just hold off on the tune for now.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If they do a dyno tune, you should be OK. He did a lot of Lightnings back from 99-04 and everybody loved his tunes. Honestly, if it were me, if I were not getting the truck strapped down to a dyno for a tune, I'd go with Mike at 5 Star. If I were to get it strapped to a dyno, I'd go with my personal tuner that tuned all of my previous cars in Baton Rouge.

buttsand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rage - I recently bought an SCT SF3 tuner from 5Star with five tunes. I played around with the 89 performance and 89 economy tunes and definitely saw a difference in my very short test runs. Customer service is very important to me and Mike at 5Star has been fantastic. I'm wondering if he ever takes a break. He and the 5Star staff replied to my inquiries within hours!