5Star Tuner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Banned
Reaction score
First thing I do when I get my tuner for my ranger will be removing the speed limiter. I hate when it cuts me out at 150 (kmh) when im goin down the back roads.

Just don't keep those speeds for long with the stock tires. They'll be fine for a minute or two.

CrownOffroad

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing my 5 star tuner. Having never done a tuner before I was surprised how long it took to do the 1st tune. Is it always that long? Also does anyone know if the speed limiter is automatically removed or does that have to be done also? I saw the option to make additional adjustments but do I have to also install the complete custom tune again if I adjust something in that menus?

Questions aside WOW!! That tuner is worth the $400 just for the transmission adjustments alone! Truly amazing the difference it made. Also a noticeable difference in throttle responce.

Any advise for further tweaks would greatly be appreciated.

Dave.

I took advantage of the 5 Star Memorial Day Sale and got around to uploading the tuner tonight. I mean the difference is night and day! For $400, this is turning out to be one of the best mods yet! Since I've owned the truck, when I cold start it, it jumps up to around 1500 - 2000 RPMs and didn't settle down to normal ranges until it got warm. It also seemed to be a bit clunky and lurch sometimes. With the tuner, first thing I noticed was how smooth it started. RPMs went right to around 900 and it idled very smoothly! Immediately there was a huge difference and I hadn't even driven two feet yet! Once I got it onto the roads, I was having a lot of issues staying away from the skinny pedal. Holy crap the truck just seemed to have endless power! What went from a quick test drive around the block turned into a hour long cruise around town! Cannot say enough good things about this tuner and all of Mike's help!

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had mine in for a while now and the transmission issues are all pretty much gone. Performance is still amazing! And yes Mike really knows his stuff.

I met another Raptor owner a week or 2 ago and he has the same tuner but has tunes from a local place in S. Florida. They only gave him 1 tune and it sounds nothing like Mike's tune. He also paid more than the $400.

Dave.

Fishyguy

Reaction score
Got my tuner from Mike today and I promptly installed the 91 performance tune, all I can say is WOW:peace::peace: What a difference it made. The harsh shifts are gone and it holds gear longer. Thank you Mike!!!

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info on here. Thanks for putting all this up everyone. I knew nothing about tuners and think I at least have some grounds to ask questions now.

I think I will be calling 5 star as soon as I can get my boss to agree to it. Hopefully theyll give me a military discount or something. She loves to hear the word discount. lol

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info on here. Thanks for putting all this up everyone. I knew nothing about tuners and think I at least have some grounds to ask questions now.

I think I will be calling 5 star as soon as I can get my boss to agree to it. Hopefully theyll give me a military discount or something. She loves to hear the word discount. lol

It's definitely one of the best mods I have ever done! The performance gains are great but I love what it does to the transmission!

Dave

Bryson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my AFE Stage 2 with Lid and my X3 SCT tune from Mike!!
im running the 87 performance tune for the long tube headers.
there is no harsh shifts and im realy happy with it. its so loud!!!! love it no problems

Jordan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the shifting has been my only gripe on the truck so far. I always tell people that it feels like its arguing with itself.

Like,
Hes hittin the gas, GO!
No, I have to shift properly and efficiently!

This definatley makes me want it even more now.

Question. I have an exhaust but not an intake yet cuz Im still deciding which one to get.

Will the tune b the same with and without the intake or should I get the intake first and have the tunes done after to match the intake and exhaust?