5Star Tuner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished installing my 5 star tuner. Having never done a tuner before I was surprised how long it took to do the 1st tune. Is it always that long? Also does anyone know if the speed limiter is automatically removed or does that have to be done also? I saw the option to make additional adjustments but do I have to also install the complete custom tune again if I adjust something in that menus?

Questions aside WOW!! That tuner is worth the $400 just for the transmission adjustments alone! Truly amazing the difference it made. Also a noticeable difference in throttle responce.

Any advise for further tweaks would greatly be appreciated.

Dave.

Baginoman

Reaction score
yes i was wondering the same thing when i heard it takes 45 or so minutes to complete the tune. Compared to loading tunes for the stangs i had, which took no longer than a minute or two haha

Receiving my 5 star and afe sometime this week, and looking forward to it!

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not 45 minutes but definitely a good 20-30. Still totally worth it just suprised how long.

Dave.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The first time takes a looong time, while it is backing up stock program.. After stock is stored it is quicker.. Not fast as bully dog tuners on diesels...

-Greg

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so if I want to switch from the 87 performance tune to the 93 performance or the economy one it's gonna be more like 5-10 minutes?

Dave.

RAPTOR2012GR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my cai and tunnel from 5star did some home work they seem to be the best so far now just waiting on my RAPTOR SVT said it should be here by the 5th of June I can't freaking wait !!!! Does anyone feel that ford is just messing us and making us wait longer then usual ....ahhh I'm going crazy waiting for my truck !!!!

---------- Post added at 08:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Come on RAPTOR come home to daddy! I'm waiting for you boy!! Lol

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 PM ----------

Can I get an amen

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes and no... Are you counting running through a tank of 93 prior to changing the tune.. Lol...

87 econ to 87 performance maybe 15 minutes at most.. Then about 5 drive cycles for everything to settle in..

Might just be my truck, but the adaptive transmission, and ecm does not like tune changes.. It takes a good 4 drive cycles, before it is running like a ..... (fill in colorful adjective here)

-Greg

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I've heard of the adaptive thing before. They say around 100 miles for it to fully learn. Do you see a big difference between the the 87&93 performance tunes honestly?

Dave.

beemerman

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Amen And like a **** Greg. Had mike send me a revised transmission tune. Shifts a little later in all gears. Like it. And I can change back at any time. Did take a few drive cycles to get it set. Jack

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dkyacht

Dkyacht

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok one more question, if it takes 4-5 drives or 100 miles to fully learn but I'm seeing a big difference the first time out. Does that mean that over the next few days it's gonna keep getting better??

Dave.