5 point harness? Possible without a cage?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
with a mini torch and a mirror they can get pretty darn close to the roof and still weld fully around. Just had a 10 point 8.50 cert cage put in my race truck and its hugging the roof extremely close.

As for no 5 point harness without a cage, if you've got the momentum to roll the truck you're not going to be able to sit there and make a conscious decision to lay down or tuck one way or another. And if you do think you will, and feel you'd have that lightning fast reflex to know how the truck is going to land and where to strategically tuck yourself, you could easily slap the quick release and the belt will pop right off, and you could even still wear your stock belt underneath if you feel you still want to be semi-restrained. The vehicles are built so the roof doesn't cave in and crush your heads counting on standard seatbelts to keep you strapped in an upright position.

I do agree you shouldn't just bolt a 5 point harness into random spots without a proper harness bar so the straps are positioned properly. Vendors for the Gen 2L's used to make harness bars for 5 points in trucks without a cage.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's a good question and you would think there are some harness setups available for stock seats.

I'm sure some of the other guys will chime in who have more knowledge on the topic.

I've looked and e-mailed several companies about this very question. I came up snakeyes.

carbonbigfoot

Reaction score
Further, beware of the Superman Syndrome. People tend to over-drive vehicles with 5 points in them. Some manufacturers of professional pre-runner trucks don't put them in, cause it makes the riders so confident that they crash at a much higher rate.

R

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
Further, beware of the Superman Syndrome. People tend to over-drive vehicles with 5 points in them. Some manufacturers of professional pre-runner trucks don't put them in, cause it makes the riders so confident that they crash at a much higher rate.

R

Same thing with wearing a Helmet. Feel invincible. Helmet and neck restraint. I can fly.

Drakekemper

Reaction score
What do you think guys? The factory seat belt system doesn't really hold me in the seat the way I'd like. I don't have much experience with harness setups so I'm trying to learn something here. Didn't turn up much in the forum search or Google.

They sell harnesses that clip into the backseat seatbelt buckles. I know quite a lot of people use them on street cars that they also track.