4L transmission issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
B

brusso99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drive down from 13,100 feet..

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

just watched video of it.. the truck just runs right at redline till finally BAM the camera got knocked right out of my wife's hand.. I dont know about riding the brakes all the way down, i was driving Million Dollar highway and they were smoking at the rest stop.

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Post the video so we can see what's goin on. Def should use jill descent and shift manually tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drive down from 13,100 feet..

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

just watched video of it.. the truck just runs right at redline till finally BAM the camera got knocked right out of my wife's hand.. I dont know about riding the brakes all the way down, i was driving Million Dollar highway and they were smoking at the rest stop.

When i go wide open throttle on my truck , it shifts so violently, and bangs into gear. sometimes it will bounce off the rev limiter and sound like machine gun fire.

Your truck sounds like its trying to slow you down but the gearing isn't low enough to slow down a 6k truck on that steep of a hill. Your riding the brakes or using hill descent. Or regear your transfer case.

OP
OP
B

brusso99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it in to the dealer, advised drive up in 4L and Down in 4H using the breaks and manual shift.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like your on a pretty gnarly hill dude. I don't see why you couldn't use hill descent that long, but I'm not sure. That jerkiness sounds pretty normal for 4l, and you could always shit manually. This all sounds pretty normal.

is their any other way lol shit manually

---------- Post added at 10:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

ya that is what I would say 4L is for towing climbing. hill decent will go as long as you want at 20mph or under. as far as setting I don't think you have to use the brake and gas at the same time just one or the other. whats this hill like compareds to flag staff? how many miles grade? sounds like a white nuckle road.

SwampKing

FRF Addict
Reaction score
your rite Wilson. hill decent works from 2-20mph and stays on from 20-40mph but you cant set or maintain a decent speed after 20mph+. you can also use hill decent going in reverse. to set the hill decent, push throttle/brake accordingly and let off. Had to correct my facts, sorry