3Rd brake light issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yes. I never understood why Ford used a felt gasket when felt just absorbs water where rubber forces water to flow around it instead following through it.

I am here at the dealer today. They have a 2014 and couple of used older year model raptors on the Lot. I looked at the third brake light. There looks to be a rubber gasket on the trucks. Mine never came with a rubber gasket. I told the advisor about it.

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. I never understood why Ford used a felt gasket when felt just absorbs water where rubber forces water to flow around it instead following through it.
New 3rd brake light ORDERED.
Dam rain is coming back tomorrow for 2 days!!!
:eek:

Forgot to mention my 3rd BrakeLight had a decent amount of water inside which effected the Red Brakelight LED to be intermittent (sometimes working sometimes Not and dim compared to the Other 2 LED). Dealer noticed it today and noted it on the Repair Order

Last edited:

RC51TOFUMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm happy to see that things are progressing, RC51TOFUMAN. How many miles are on your Raptor? I'll look into ways to help, if needed.

Crystal
Crystal.....it's a 2013 odometer 16,500 miles approx
Serviced at Theodore Robins Ford- Costa Mesa

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Please let is know if the new rubber gasket can be ordered separately. I want to replace my felt gasket before it starts leaking through.
Raptor911 I will let you know what I find out. I can't say for certain that it is a rubber gasket. It's what I assumed after I looked at the Other raptors on the parking lot.

Maybe Crystal- Ford Rep can clarify for us?

:cool:

puddle hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the water issue recently on my light as well. Two of the three LEDs were out, and you could see a puddle in the housing. I'm out of warranty, and the extended warranty doesn't cover the part, so I just ordered another out of pocket.

I haven't put in the new piece yet because I noticed a few things.

1: (positive) the new housing has a large spongy gasket approximately an inch thick. Whereas the old gasket is about 1/8" rubber. Hopefully the new gasket will keep the water out.

2: (questionable) the new housing also came with a new harness set. I tried to install without it, but the new housing's bulb holes have 2 bump openings, and my 2011 bulb holders have 4 bumps. So I need to use the new harness, but all the stock wiring is plugged into an inaccessible area recessed in the cab.

All the research I've done, says that I have to pop out the backside of the retaining clip that holds all the stock plug assembly and wiring, inside the cab. This will give enough slack to fish the plug assembly through the hole. Then it's a simple process of unplug-plug.

Anybody else find these same installation issues?

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Took my Raptor in last week because one of the leds was not working so they ordered a new third brake light. I have an appointment for Wednesday to get the light replaced. It should be a simple fix but you never know. I just hope the new one doesn't leak worse than the one from the factory.

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Crystal.....it's a 2013 odometer 16,500 miles approx
Serviced at Theodore Robins Ford- Costa Mesa

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Raptor911 I will let you know what I find out. I can't say for certain that it is a rubber gasket. It's what I assumed after I looked at the Other raptors on the parking lot.

Maybe Crystal- Ford Rep can clarify for us?

:cool:

Hi RC51TOFUMAN,

If you'd like, I can get this in front of your regional customer service manager. To get started, just send your information over to me in a PM and I'll do the rest. Be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership in your message. The dealership's service manager will be in the best position to answer your question about the gasket.

Crystal

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had the water issue recently on my light as well. Two of the three LEDs were out, and you could see a puddle in the housing. I'm out of warranty, and the extended warranty doesn't cover the part, so I just ordered another out of pocket.

I haven't put in the new piece yet because I noticed a few things.

1: (positive) the new housing has a large spongy gasket approximately an inch thick. Whereas the old gasket is about 1/8" rubber. Hopefully the new gasket will keep the water out.

2: (questionable) the new housing also came with a new harness set. I tried to install without it, but the new housing's bulb holes have 2 bump openings, and my 2011 bulb holders have 4 bumps. So I need to use the new harness, but all the stock wiring is plugged into an inaccessible area recessed in the cab.

All the research I've done, says that I have to pop out the backside of the retaining clip that holds all the stock plug assembly and wiring, inside the cab. This will give enough slack to fish the plug assembly through the hole. Then it's a simple process of unplug-plug.

Anybody else find these same installation issues?
Where is the plug? Above the head liner?

Donate to Avery and be entered into a raffle for an awesome prize for your Raptor.
@Wilson Cookies
waffle 2knight
E-30 Rocks
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?p=799435