37" Tires. Yes or No?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know many of you are true dyed in the wool truck guys. Myself? I'm a noob. My first truck was the Gen2 2017 Raptor followed by an '18 Platinum and now my '19 Raptor.

I see a lot of threads here about 37" tires.

1. Does it require larger size wheels than OEM?

2. Does it require a different bumper to make more room so they don't hit?

3. Do they rub wheel well if no modifications made?

4. (Should have been first question.) What is the advantage aside from looks?

5. What size are the OEM tires?

6. Are they that much better off road?

7. Do they suck on road?

I asked this in numbered questions as, aside from being a noob, I'm sometimes a dummy and need all the help I can muster when reading replies.

Raptor18Actual

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know many of you are true dyed in the wool truck guys. Myself? I'm a noob. My first truck was the Gen2 2017 Raptor followed by an '18 Platinum and now my '19 Raptor.

1. Does it require larger size wheels than OEM?

2. Does it require a different bumper to make more room so they don't hit?

3. Do they rub wheel well if no modifications made?

4. (Should have been first question.) What is the advantage aside from looks?

5. What size are the OEM tires?

6. Are they that much better off road?

7. Do they suck on road?

I asked this in numbered questions as, aside from being a noob, I'm sometimes a dummy and need all the help I can muster when reading replies.

As a fellow noob whose first truck is my '18 Raptor and who's also contemplating 37's, here's what I've read from my time on this forum. I would appreciate the vets clarifying for my own knowledge.

1. Does it require larger size wheels than OEM? No

2. Does it require a different bumper to make more room so they don't hit? No, although I think you need to at least use collars to level the front and probably Deavers/etc +3 in the rear if you want to retain some semblance of offroad-ability

3. Do they rub wheel well if no modifications made? Yes, need to trim the front

4. (Should have been first question.) What is the advantage aside from looks? Disadvantage for offroading because less clearance between wheel and fender, heavier. Advantage I would imagine would be more sidewall

5. What size are the OEM tires? LT315/70R17

6. Are they that much better off road? See #4

OP
OP
MDJAK

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Awesome replies. Thank you. My number 5 wasn't clear. In comparison to the 37, what size are the OEM? 35?

If they are not better for off roading, am I incorrect to think people do it mainly for looks? Don't get me wrong, I love doing mods just for looks.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

1. Does it require larger size wheels than OEM? No

2. Does it require a different bumper to make more room so they don't hit? No

3. Do they rub wheel well if no modifications made? Hell Yes. You need at least Eibachs, Geiser or 2.5" collars and then you will still need to do minor trimming of liner.

4. (Should have been first question.) What is the advantage aside from looks? Better clearance, more sidewall, better off road performance and it looks way better. My 37" Coopers are 1 lb lighter per tire than my 35" Toyos were, so more size does not always equate to more weight.

5. What size are the OEM tires? 35"

6. Are they that much better off road? Yes they are better as the additional height/sidewall helps.

7. Do they suck on road? Not at all, they ride great on road IMO.

SVTTrooper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. Does it require larger size wheels than OEM? no but you can run a larger wheel if you choose.. I stuck with 17s because it's a truck and I like more tire than wheel. preference.

2. Does it require a different bumper to make more room so they don't hit? not on our trucks, my 01, 03 GMs and 06 SD did however.

3. Do they rub wheel well if no modifications made? sometimes, like @Raptor18Actual said you need collars to get the height. on full lock I can get the tires to rub the inner frame rail, but it's super rare it happens. others on here cut and hammer the pinch welds back for clearance.

4. (Should have been first question.) What is the advantage aside from looks? the footprint and sidewall make for better offroad control. you'll notice with a larger tire it will absorb more shock when you push the truck. sure you run the chance of smashing into your fenders but meh, that's why ADV and others made glass, plus sometimes you gotta learn the hard way lol.

5. What size are the OEM tires? OEMs are 35s

6. Are they that much better off road? no, why? more rotating mass makes for more fuel consumption. my 6.2 gets 13 mpg. plus that mass makes it harder to stop.

7. Do they suck on road? not at all, where I live the roads are crap and I drive a lot of unpaved range roads/ logging roads so the 37s soak up more of the bumps.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Raptor with Geiser springs up front, Deaver +3's in the rear, and 37" BFG KO2's. I did not have to do any trimming and I couldn't imagine the truck any other way; it looks great. I did it mostly for looks, but the extra sidewall probably does have some benefit on larger bumps.

Big Blue

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does the speedometer and odometer need adjusted if switching tire size?

It does not "need" adjusting, but it will be off a bit. If your speedo is showing 60 MPH with 37s' your actually going 65. Most tuners allow for tire change parameters.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Dodge powerwagon, a 3/4 ton HD truck that’s a legit off-roader runs on 33”s & most 1/2 tons looking to get lifted & look the part of an “off-road” truck start w/ 33”s & trim/cut to fit 35”s

Fords newest off-road
Truck, the HD version of the raptor, the “tremor” rides on 35”s it probably weighs 2000 lbs more than a raptor.

So the answer is 1000000000% unequivocally NO! no to 37”s

It’s a performance detractor on road or off, slows ya braking & acceleration & reduces departure angles.

Get a used 3/4 diesel & rock those tires if you wanna LOOK like you off-road.

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems silly to pay 70k+ for a truck who's main advantage is it's suspension then go about changing it. To each his own and I totally get modding your truck but if you want to keep the capability you paid for then I'd stick with the 35s. Anything you do to the suspension will probably risk detracting from the original capability in some way the only exception being serious suspension work done by Shelby and others. For the money I'd say there is more value in a tune/bed cover/audio upgrade, etc. Remember that suspension mods usually come with trade offs