2022 Smell Gas fumes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SoCalDawg

Reaction score
Well, you'll have to pull the fuel tank guard, run the truck, and see if you can determine whether the true source is a hole or split seam in the fuel tank, a split in the high pressure fuel line, a failure in the return line, or a gasket failure where the fuel pump is mounted in the fuel tank. It might be pretty hard to do, gas being colorless. Be careful with your trouble light!
Determined to be improperly seated fuel pump lock ring. Bed coming off for the repair today.. Ford shop, not me.

OP
OP
S

SoCalDawg

Reaction score
^^^Wow. Is this on a new truck or did you buy it used?
Smart move taking it to the dealership!!!
Brand new truck.. only had week. I was smelling light fumes within a day or so. I grew up restoring/wrenching with my pops so not a stranger to getting under cars. At first I thought it might be the open exhaust but after examining engine bay and rear of vehicle I just got under it with a flashlight. It was REALLY hard to see things with all the metal plates. At first I only saw 'tannin like' lines from fuel on the tank and wiped it off thinking drive and then re-check.. but then I saw actual fuel coming out of one of the holes in the plate protecting the gas tank. At that point it was a non-drivable issue. I get it happens.. even though techs said they have never seen it. Just can't wait to get my new truck back. Positive is they get to inspect the entire area under the truck bed. Glass half full.

OP
OP
S

SoCalDawg

Reaction score
Truck is home.. with a functioning fuel pump lock ring. They said I there was literally gas sloshing out at certain times vs just a spray.. they did not love having to even run it on the lot until it was fixed.

.. did notice I seem to be getting slightly better mpg