Bent tie rods from minor rut G3 2022

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
Jeez. Bent tie rods is too much traction and too much torque at the same time. Nothing more. The rods are forward of the tire center line. Happens to IFS trucks in the rocks all the time.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez. Bent tie rods is too much traction and too much torque at the same time. Nothing more. The rods are forward of the tire center line. Happens to IFS trucks in the rocks all the time.
I guess that makes too much sense haha. Never would have figured the truck could put down that much on loose stuff, but I guess if you slam the wheel into a rut it could hook up like that.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bet if op was at 25psi, hitting washes a bit too fast, the tire would have picked up a bunch of that side deflection that shocked the tie rods and caused this...

and this thread would not even be here...
If it was from the tire hooking up hard all of the sudden there would be no side loading. That bends tie rods by the tire trying to drag itself forward relative to the frame. Tire forces are in line with the wheel.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Do you off road at all??????
200.gif
:)

Tire pressure had little to do with this failure no doubt.
True, but... on road you just get added NVH running relatively high pressure - and slightly better fuel economy. But off road you’re dealing with asymmetrical forces applied in unpredictable manners. The lower psi will help absorb some of the initial shock load to the hard parts, smoothing out the individual impacts ever so slightly and not transmitting as much force into the rest of the suspension. Maybe it doesn’t help avoid this issue, maybe it only lessens the damage.
maybe you need to read your raptor supplemental manual... we not going to chill on driving fast off road with 40psi... sorry its dumb, the tire is not doing its job, and i bet really theres more to the story than just hitting the little wash in the pics..
200.gif

I mean it’s either there’s more to the story, bad luck with a bunch of combined factors, or Ford didn’t really intend the 37 to be for fast things. But I guarantee they considered off road with the tire pressure listed on the door. Considering the guy posted a different picture of a massive **** up I’m assuming he’s not shy about accidentally doing something wrong.
again: This is a manifestation of the prison of only two ideas. That only one thing or the other must be true, but more than one of these things can be true in the same reality.

downforce137

FRF Addict
Reaction score

check out the lateral tire deflection. its absorbing a lot of forces and keeping them off the wheel and suspension...

what happens when you make the tire way stiffer?

also i went thru my raptor supplement last night, and never actually found recommendations to air down, but there's several recommendations to air back up to the placard after getting back on the road... lol

Screenshot_20230816_230417.jpgScreenshot_20230816_230011.jpgScreenshot_20230816_225853.jpg

Last edited:

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's not by accident. Ford. Firestone. Lawyers.
I can almost guarantee if you broke a tie rod and told them you were aired down you’d be SOL if warranty were to be on the table. In the eyes of the lawyers the tire pressure on the door is the only pressure.

Trophy trucks are a whole different world. You can see deflection of absolutely everything from tires to bushings on them. They also don’t run particularly low pressures unless it’s soft to avoid damaging wheels. There the whole conversation is balancing lower pressure/traction with wheel protection. I don’t think anyone is talking about setting up tires to protect tie rods there. When they break it’s because the thing was hucked straight onto its nose or some other excessively abusive thing.

By the way, all this airing down or you will break your truck talk has big overland trail boss vibes.