2022 Paint issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10SpdsOfFury

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my detail guy came last weekend and pointed out some paint defects under the clear coat. It’s kinda hard to get a picture of but I snapped a few. Top Drivers side fender has the white spots in it and no that isn’t a cloud reflection, also on the roof behind the moonroof. It’s like they didn’t get good paint coverage. My service girl said to bring it in to get pictures for approval to fix it.
I am conflicted on weather I want them to repaint it or not.
F0B0FC60-95B4-46DE-B319-0DBE2208687E.jpeg37232413-C25F-497A-B7F9-221CF299C79C.jpeg7D84A069-7CB3-4B6C-8F17-FD66303D5E29.jpegEE83A194-BD20-4736-B994-B4A54265FF3B.jpeg

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats literally where i have the same issue on the same exact spot on the rear driver side fender! For me...you can only see it in certain light and angle. In board sunny daylight, you can't see it at all. Ford paint guy said theres not enough silver paint. For me, this is hard to see and if you have the "eye" to see it. It looks bad in pictures but you can easily forget it's there. I will get it repainted when i have time. I also feel like this is more common in silver raptors because i've seen a thread on this in a different raptor forum.

raptor.jpeg

Tampaukfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats "mottling" Ford seems to have perfected this defect its caused by the paint gun running dry or too wet. My 22 Iconic had the same issue on the tops of the rear fenders and lower quarter. Only way to fix it is to repaint. Check all the panels under different light sources and shade, chances are the other side has it too.

IMG_2135 (2).jpegIMG_2148.jpeg

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats "mottling" Ford seems to have perfected this defect its caused by the paint gun running dry or too wet. My 22 Iconic had the same issue on the tops of the rear fenders and lower quarter. Only way to fix it is to repaint. Check all the panels under different light sources and shade, chances are the other side has it too.

View attachment 377593View attachment 377594
I also have the same place you mentioned on the first picture but a very small spot so im not worried about that. Just the rear fender im worried about.

ELmx479

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8EF52FED-2D8E-4E10-8A94-A8AC683717B3.jpeg

Mine has a few uneven areas. Can’t see it during the daylight.

BadWRP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the same problems. Lower bedside in front of the tires, tops of bed sides, front flares against headlights, gas door and tailgate. The worst of the all are the gas door and tailgate. The second problem is repainting the truck. Silver is one of the hardest colors to match/blend correctly. I chose to have my tailgate repainted through warranty and leave the rest due to not wanting to repaint almost the entire truck to make everything match correcting.

TX-RAP70R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has the same problems. Lower bedside in front of the tires, tops of bed sides, front flares against headlights, gas door and tailgate. The worst of the all are the gas door and tailgate. The second problem is repainting the truck. Silver is one of the hardest colors to match/blend correctly. I chose to have my tailgate repainted through warranty and leave the rest due to not wanting to repaint almost the entire truck to make everything match correcting.
Im still deciding if i want to do mine. Only area for me is the rear fender. I've learned to ignore it but when you are paying like $90k for a truck, you'd want it to be perfect.

So-Cal-Al-52

I Love Fossil Fuel
Reaction score
I have had mine for a week. I was pretty disappointed in the overall condition when I picked it up. Deep hard water spots like it sat outside for a while. Some of the plastic looked faded as well. Oddly enough I had an issue on the drivers side rear fender also, it looked like gray paint from maybe overspray from something else. My truck is code orange so the gray splatter stood out. I didn't see it until I got the truck home because it was dark when I picked it up. it bothered me so much I got out all the detail supplies and buffed it out. I had to use some 3000 grit sand paper and rebuff and polish.

It is sad to say but I didn't want to give the truck up for a fix and honestly didn't trust Ford to fix it correctly. It looks fine now but I am still working to get the paint clean with hours of clay barring. The paint was filthy and had all kinds of rough spots. Bottom line is that none of this should happen with a 90K vehicle.

The last thing I found was the tailgate appliqué was loose at the top drivers side corner. Seems like it is just a glued on piece of vinyl. I will just tack it back down, but come on.

I love the truck and how it drives and the inside with Recarios is fantastic, but the outside was pretty disappointing. I expected better attention to detail.