21 leadfoot paint chipping!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RadRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, first bad news.. your vehicle has to be in the shop overnight for at least 30 days... and its best if its a safety issue. Ford sucks at Lemon law buyback...

but the good news is this... Carillo and Sons in San Diego is a very good body shop... I ran Auto body shops for years in California, and now am a consultant.. I still know the best shops... Maria is the owner... tell her Jill mentioned her shop...
Next, if its just the fender, and depending on the color, a butt match is very difficult, they may need to blend.. but 3 paint jobs on the fender is too much millage, and will chip, needs to be stripped now.

DocMarshall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You won’t be able to lemon law the truck as the law states that it has to be something that is a safety issue like engine, brakes , electrical and such. Paint is definitely not covered under lemon laws. Ask em how I know. It has to be in the shop at least 2 times for same problem
Actually, Lemon Laws vary by state. In some states you CAN get a vehicle lemon lawed for paint. Ask me how I know lol. (I had to lemon law a Mustang for peeling paint). I had to give them 3 chances to fix the issue, and the issue had to be a safety issue OR an issue that impacted the value of the car. I took it to a dealership and they quoted me 'rough trade in' due to the crappy paint job. I asked if they would put that in writing and they did. Ford caved the day before it went to court, and gave me everything I paid plus interest.

But again, take it to a more reputable shop, get it fixed and then sell it if you don't want it.

WKUSMC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 21 ford raptor drivers side fender paint was chipping off. I took it to the ford dealer and they painted it 3 times. I got it back today and the color match is not right again. So this is the 3 time so I think it’s a Lemon. It also came back with reverse brake is not available. So I don’t know what to do. I called ford and they will call me tomorrow. I paid so much for a truck and looks bad with the new paint job. I hope I can get it right or I can get a new truck under California lemon law.
Not a lemon. It isn’t a safety issue and the vehicle still runs. I need to back up, brake light is questionable? I would tell ford you will take it somewhere else to have it painted correctly and get reimbursement. I would tell ford make a couple of my car payments for the inconvenience,

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I will add painting aluminum is tricky business. If the metal is not etched perfectly it has issues. I noticed the 19’s have very thin paint around the bends .

MRV99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I will do more than make a comment emoji comment.

I assume the paint shop is either lazy or understaffed. Why….. because you cannot buy “ford leadfoot paint”. You can take it to a place that has the leadfoot formula which requires one to mix it(even a ford dealer) and spray it. When you mix the formula, it may not perfectly match….. why… because ford has large “barrels” of “insert paint name here” connected to the paint line. Over time the paint pigments may settle which can alter the precise color of your paint.

So if painter “A” uses the paint code of leadfoot and your truck was the first truck painted on the barrel or last truck painted, it may be off by %.1. Unless it was WAY off I assume it is pretty close.

Or

It was mixed wrong 3 times

Or
It was not blended on adjacent panels which by time three they would have blended it

Or

It is a lemon and you deserve to keep the truck with 10 years of 110% warranty and unlimited maintenance until you no longer want it.

Sincerely,
Miller Light

PST… painted cars back in the day but probably wrong now… but?????

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok I will do more than make a comment emoji comment.

I assume the paint shop is either lazy or understaffed. Why….. because you cannot buy “ford leadfoot paint”. You can take it to a place that has the leadfoot formula which requires one to mix it(even a ford dealer) and spray it. When you mix the formula, it may not perfectly match….. why… because ford has large “barrels” of “insert paint name here” connected to the paint line. Over time the paint pigments may settle which can alter the precise color of your paint.

So if painter “A” uses the paint code of leadfoot and your truck was the first truck painted on the barrel or last truck painted, it may be off by %.1. Unless it was WAY off I assume it is pretty close.

Or

It was mixed wrong 3 times

Or
It was not blended on adjacent panels which by time three they would have blended it

Or

It is a lemon and you deserve to keep the truck with 10 years of 110% warranty and unlimited maintenance until you no longer want it.

Sincerely,
Miller Light

PST… painted cars back in the day but probably wrong now… but?????
I mixed and painted too many cars for years, years ago, my guess is 2 things, one the base being used by the painter is the wrong color, or he/she is continuing to paint over and over again the same base color and it is getting darker than the rest of the truck. Either way, a professional painter would have no difficulty paint matching these days. I wonder if the outsourced shop is Earl Schieb, lol.

thepainter

Reaction score
Dealing with repeated paint issues on a vehicle feels like a frustrating Paint by Numbers mishap, where each attempt to fix the problem doesn't quite match the original picture. Given the multiple attempts and the added complication with the reverse brake, it's understandable to feel disheartened. Consulting with Ford and understanding your rights under the California lemon law is a prudent step. Here's hoping for a satisfactory resolution, whether it's a flawless repaint or a suitable replacement.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
get an outside body shop to do it right. if the paint is chipping off, it’s poor prep / workmanship.