2020 Test Drive - help with the ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
(most) Salesmen are lazy scum and many would tell you their sisters phone number if it meant getting a sale. If you were looking at a truck with a tailgate step, he would be waxing poetic about how awesome and life changing they are (which is correct) :)

Haha that’s a good one.

Tailgate step is brilliant and totally worth the money. Should be standard.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Concur with the rest of the responses here; tire pressure makes a huge difference.

During PDI (Pre-Delivery Inspection) the technician is instructed to lower tire pressures from the shipping pressure to the pressure specified in the door placard. When I first drove my Raptor home, the ride was rough - turns out the tech never adjusted the tire pressure from the 52 PSI shipping pressure to the 38 PSI recommended pressure.

If you drove a new unit off the lot, it probably hasn't even been through PDI. Which would explain the high tire pressure and rough ride.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ditto here......My tires were at least 45psi when I drove it off the lot. I bounced over every bump on the way home and said man this thing is gonna be a bouncy riding truck. Still I was excited to be driving it home. Once I checked the tire pressures I knew what was wrong.

Once you have the tires dialed in the ride and handling becomes pretty awesome.

Have to say the tailgate step is a good thing to have. I can hop up into the truck, but why if you have to unload a bunch of things. Stepping up is worlds better.

19Stripper

Reaction score
Seems like the techs never lower the pressure. Mine was 52 when I bought it and bounced everywhere. 34 now and smooth.

Mj1anderson

Reaction score
Cool. Planning to to check with dealer on the psi. . Salesman tried to downplay the tailgate step saying its cumbersome, breaks, get jammed, etc. But I think it would be really nice. And of course I want the spray-in liner
I wouldn't be too concerned with spray in liner as there a LOT of great after market bed liners, bed rugs etc...
However I would NEVER buy one without the tailgate step. They are freaking awesome!
I got a bedrug Bed liner which I put over the spray in bed liner and I love it!

BrttClne22

Reaction score
My 2019 had 48+ psi off the lot. Dropping the pressure to 38 psi (which is recommended by Ford) helped tremendously.

The tailgate step is A HUGE UPGRADE. Couldn't imagine living without it at this point.

On the subject of salesmen... The mirrors were SUPER shaky on my test drive. When we mentioned it to the salesman he said "they float more because it's meant to be a dessert runner" we later found out someone had manually folded them out and toggling the power mirror switch a couple of times tightened them right up... Couldn't believe he came up with such BS

Scottx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tailgate step is worthless, until you need to get in the bed, then it’s priceless and ohhh do with it.
Spray in bed liner stops one from slipping and sliding. Wouldn’t buy without these and yeah aftermarket but not the same with no warranty

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I run my 37" Toyo RTs at 34 lbs and the truck rides great. My wife prefers to take the Raptor on long trips vs her Cadillac due to how nice mine rides!

I have the tailgate step and the spray-in liner from Ford. This was my first truck with the tailgate step and I thought it was just a gimmick until I finally got one! It is awesome for getting in and out, especially with the extra height on mine. I put a Bedrug Mat over the top of my spray-in liner to make it softer on the knees when crawling around back there. You can opt for the full Bedrug, which I have had on several trucks.

I do not like the Recaro seats, so not having them would be a plus for me... :cool: