2020... any hints?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO the news about the big V8, if it’s true,will only be a limited edition, restrictive numbers built, at a cost not many of us would be willing to pay for something we want to play with in the mud and brush. ECO is a huge investment by Ford and will be with us from now on. We’ll probably get more HP and torque but still the V6. This truck is awesome people, enjoy your ride!

1roadking

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My only issue with the eco boost is the light throttle low RPM cruising torque at say 45 to 60. It gear hunts too much in that speed range and it feels like I’m always having to throttle up enough for a downshift then let off a little and repeat. It’s fine if you get up to 60 plus on flat ground but at under 60 it’s annoying. When you get on it the truck hauls ass though and that helps make up for it lol. I’m looking at a mpt tune for just this reason.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My only issue with the eco boost is the light throttle low RPM cruising torque at say 45 to 60. It gear hunts too much in that speed range and it feels like I’m always having to throttle up enough for a downshift then let off a little and repeat. It’s fine if you get up to 60 plus on flat ground but at under 60 it’s annoying. When you get on it the truck hauls ass though and that helps make up for it lol. I’m looking at a mpt tune for just this reason.

When the truck is hunting for gears, put it in tow mode and it will hold the lower gears and won't upshift as easily. I do this all the time when driving through the mountains.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO while in city never let it get higher than 6th gear, click it back down and get better mpg as well, open road never over 9th gear, only use 10 th when on the interstate going 75 or above. I’m averaging 15.8 mpg and haven’t reset in over 3000 miles. Try to never let it lug along till it shifts. I exspearament all the time and these things work for me. I love this truck!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score

What’s you’re build date? I had the TSB done for the harsh shifting issue on my early 2018 build and it also made the transmission a bit more responsive in normal mode.

Loufish

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I would be VERY...VERY surprised if they would have a V8 option in 2020...don't get me wrong, love the sound of a V8...Ford's performance minions spend a lot of time tuning the spring rates and valving, so to meet that timeline(2020) they would be doing suspension R&D right now...I do think they might add several driver options for suspension settings just like the Polaris RZR's....

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Manual settings for the suspension would be pretty cool and another way (in addition to the forthcoming V8) to better compete with the TRX.