2019 Upgrades - Worth It or Not...

2018 with Color Choice or 2019 Without

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CROOKS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or your could add the Hellwig anti-sway bar or Deavers leaf spring set up and be happy with your 2018...

Don't really hear a lot of complaints from 2017/2018 owners about road handling...sure the new suspension is better, no doubt, but really how bad is the current suspension?

You havent looked hard enough. The ass end likes to step out above 70mph when it goes over expansion joints in the road.

HotLap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You havent looked hard enough. The ass end likes to step out above 70mph when it goes over expansion joints in the road.

Actually I have not only "looked" hard enough, but owned a 2016 KR which did the exact same thing...nothing new here, lighter rear end means more skipping/bouncing...again get a Hellwig or Deavers to calm things down...you should go check out the F-150.com forum...old topic...

Raptorguy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For current '17 or '18 owners, not worth a trade in unless you manage not to lose any money doing it. If you don't already have one though, waiting for a '19 would certainly be the way to go. I would certainly want the new shocks.

I was talking to my salesman today and he said he had 3 customers wanting to cancel their 18's for a 19 because of the shocks. He wasn't sure if they were going to let them order a 19, since they tied up trucks that others on their list are looking for.

FullSend

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The shocks should ride substantially better everywhere, on road and off. That alone is worth it. I'm not sure how cost effective it would be to add Trail Control, as much as I'd like to.

You won't be able to retrofit the OEM Fox Live shocks, as they are integral to the Raptor's ECU. That said, Fox will be releasing standalone bike shocks, so they'd be crazy to not do the same for bigger vehicles. All that to say is we should see a slightly less proactive system being offered for pre-2019 Raptors at some point, which is what I plan to use if they pan out as well as the intial reports claim.
What bike shock are you referring to?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Actually I have not only "looked" hard enough, but owned a 2016 KR which did the exact same thing...nothing new here, lighter rear end means more skipping/bouncing...again get a Hellwig or Deavers to calm things down...you should go check out the F-150.com forum...old topic...

Good chance "live" damping could reduce or even eliminate freeway wobble.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, you're not 100% sure?

I have the habit of waiting until they work the kinks out of the first run of any product.

Freeway jitters are caused by harmonic oscillations of the highway surface exciting the Raptor's suspension. A small adjustment to the damping would change the resonant frequency of the suspension and eliminate these oscillations.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that Ford will do this with their live suspension, but it would be foolish not to since it would be so easy given the active nature of these new shocks.

Reducing dive, roll, and the jittery rear end, there is a good chance these shocks will be a far more impressive for their on-road manners than the incremental gains off-road.

BangBang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeway jitters are caused by harmonic oscillations of the highway surface exciting the Raptor's suspension. A small adjustment to the damping would change the resonant frequency of the suspension and eliminate these oscillations.

I cannot say with 100% certainty that Ford will do this with their live suspension, but it would be foolish not to since it would be so easy given the active nature of these new shocks.

Reducing dive, roll, and the jittery rear end, there is a good chance these shocks will be a far more impressive for their on-road manners than the incremental gains off-road.

Hope your guess is right! But, at least they are upgrading shocks, but no one knows if it's worth the money.