2019 - Final Gut Check Before Fixing Broken Rear Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had spares in my garage for my 2011. Ended up selling the truck in 2017 at 100k miles for a gen 2…never needed to swap them out.
There is need and there is performance. I can tell a considerable difference in a shock with 40k miles on it then when new. Need is a realtive term. Id perfer to do them every 25k but the difference for mostly the road , eh , but there is a difference. I do mine about 55k.

pavendort

Reaction score
I have a 17. TSW did the shock rebuild a few months after I got the truck (70k I believe is when they were rebuilt). Now with almost 110k they are 100% in need of a rebuild again, probably should have done it at 90K. I am not nice to the truck though.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 17. TSW did the shock rebuild a few months after I got the truck (70k I believe is when they were rebuilt). Now with almost 110k they are 100% in need of a rebuild again, probably should have done it at 90K. I am not nice to the truck though.
My ‘18 that got totaled @ 45k miles still had life left in the shocks for sure, but I’d say they were more worn @ 45k miles under similar use conditions than my ‘20 is w/ 65k miles- maybe the live valves last longer?

Either way- can anyone confirm if you can just buy new OEM live valves? I’d prefer this over buying “used” rebuilt shocks & shipping mine out waiting for core credit

I’m guessing maybe the total price difference wouldn’t be so far off as regardless if you do a rebuild swap or install new you can still get some decent value back for your used original take offs.

I simply don’t see anywhere online to buy true OEM Fox live valves for gen 2, I do see where you can buy the standard non-live valve shocks for the 17-18 trucks.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My ‘18 that got totaled @ 45k miles still had life left in the shocks for sure, but I’d say they were more worn @ 45k miles under similar use conditions than my ‘20 is w/ 65k miles- maybe the live valves last longer?

Either way- can anyone confirm if you can just buy new OEM live valves? I’d prefer this over buying “used” rebuilt shocks & shipping mine out waiting for core credit

I’m guessing maybe the total price difference wouldn’t be so far off as regardless if you do a rebuild swap or install new you can still get some decent value back for your used original take offs.

I simply don’t see anywhere online to buy true OEM Fox live valves for gen 2, I do see where you can buy the standard non-live valve shocks for the 17-18 trucks.

Tasca or any dealer can get them, but they're $550+/ea