2018 Raptor Running Hotter after Cam Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Which generations have the most cam phaser problems and have the problems ever been resolved?
This is your 3rd post? All generations have had VCT. There was an issue with premature wear on 2017-2019 models that was resolved with new software and new parts for those that were affected. Gen 3 isn’t included in the affected population.

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue and posted here about it as well. @FordTechOne suggested the thermostat as a possible culprit, so I did and have been seeing pre-cam phaser replacement temps ever since. I first noticed the temp rising the day after getting the truck back from dealer, I was hauling our small toy hauler on relatively flat highway in 45-deg temps without any headwind only to see temps rise over 230 when there were slight rises in the highway...a couple of days later it would even get that hot when I stepped into it to pass someone.
Thermostat did the trick.
This is similar to mine but only when towing really or other slight rises on the freeway here and there if its the perfect conditions and its not consistent. I did not experience when you mentioned a couple of days later just passing someone. Didnt notice anything until I towed for 9 months after phasers were done.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fyi, new radiator fixed my issue.
What's funny about my heating issue was I had a new/much larger radiator installed when they did the phasers. I gave the dealer a new FullRace radiator to install at the same time they did the cam phasers and simply paid the extra labor (saved some time since they were already tearing into so much, and, I hadn't gotten around to the radiator install so figured a few hundred bucks would give me time for my unendless other things to get to).
After all that it had the heating issue, of course the dealer was like, '...well, it could be associated with that new non-OE radiator..."
I ordered an OE 180-deg thermostat (the GT350 motor uses the same thermostat and is stock 180 thermostat), took me like 20 minutes to replace, refill, etc., and been perfect ever since. I did mention it to the dealer when I went back for something else and the new service manager couldn't believe his techs didn't figure out the thermostat issue, cause, 'with that new radiator, it should never get hot again!".

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's funny about my heating issue was I had a new/much larger radiator installed when they did the phasers. I gave the dealer a new FullRace radiator to install at the same time they did the cam phasers and simply paid the extra labor (saved some time since they were already tearing into so much, and, I hadn't gotten around to the radiator install so figured a few hundred bucks would give me time for my unendless other things to get to).
After all that it had the heating issue, of course the dealer was like, '...well, it could be associated with that new non-OE radiator..."
I ordered an OE 180-deg thermostat (the GT350 motor uses the same thermostat and is stock 180 thermostat), took me like 20 minutes to replace, refill, etc., and been perfect ever since. I did mention it to the dealer when I went back for something else and the new service manager couldn't believe his techs didn't figure out the thermostat issue, cause, 'with that new radiator, it should never get hot again!".
I have a 19 350R as well. At speed I usually run around 205 coolant temp even if I'm on it a bit. Sitting it can hit 220. That being said completely different animal from the 3.5 Twin Turbo and different application. I'm going to do a new thermostat because its easy and see where we are.

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: The dealer agreed to do the thermostat under ESP and I paid for a complete coolant flush. Problem solved. The truck runs 194-198 idle and after boost best I could get it to peak at was about 207 while running forscan. So I expect towing I'll be well under the 226 to get it to show on the dash and no more peaks to 235. I cant imagine how much my fans have been running to keep things in check. The interesting thing is the tech didn't want to do the work because he said the 235 was within spec. I had to explain to the service advisor being in spec and being where it should be are two completely different things. They honestly should be doing a thermostat and full flush every time they open up the cooling system for phasers. I bet there are a lot more trucks running around that don't even know that they are running hotter than prior.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I had a similar issue after doing a coolant service. Sucky part is that it took a while before I could take it back to the dealer because I didn't get hot enough to display the temp for a while, but I knew it was running hotter because of how often the radiator fans would be going full tilt for no good reason. Eventually it got bad enough for the temp to display and I knew exactly how to replicate it for the service tech. It ended up being a thermostat. At least according to them. Either way, it's fixed now and back to normal

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue after doing a coolant service. Sucky part is that it took a while before I could take it back to the dealer because I didn't get hot enough to display the temp for a while, but I knew it was running hotter because of how often the radiator fans would be going full tilt for no good reason. Eventually it got bad enough for the temp to display and I knew exactly how to replicate it for the service tech. It ended up being a thermostat. At least according to them. Either way, it's fixed now and back to normal
Funny.... My fans have not ran at all since I got the new Tstat and flush........ they really should be putting a new tstat in when they go into the cooling system.