2018 Raptor Running Hotter after Cam Phasers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prior to my phasers being done on the Truck in December of 2021, I have never received a notification on the dash of my coolant temp. I have towed my boat many times during my ownership.

This April of 2022, while towing the boat (5klbs) in about 60 degree weather at 60 MPH with a headwind I would notice the temps climb upwards of 235 degrees. The gauge starts telling you temperatures at 226 to let you know you are getting toward the upper range as I understand and I dont have forscan enabled. I"m not sure where it derates, I believe around 250 + maybe? Point being here, is the engine never got this hot prior to having the phasers done and there seems to be quite a few complaints of this online, sometimes under load and in other circumstances sometimes without load of a trailer. Note: I normally dont see this under normal driving conditions but was able to reproduce it without a trailer the other day, its just not as pronounced. I was going up a hill unloaded with slight throttle applied and under boost and got it to spike to 232 again, always happens as you let off the accelerator after boost.

October 2022, first time I've towed the boat again (5k lbs), and when i hit a head wind , 60 degrees , on a slight grade I saw 235 , 5 different times. It also seems the fans are running quite a bit, this may be keeping temps in check as much as it can but may be excessive, I'm not sure.

It seems this may be a thermostat or water pump but many techs online are trying different things. Anyone with first hand knowledge?

bvlaw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are describing happened to me whenever I would tow my two snowmobiles in my enclosed trailer (3,600 pounds total). Would happen even in 20 degree weather. 2019 stock Raptor. Never needed phasers replaced.

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you are describing happened to me whenever I would tow my two snowmobiles in my enclosed trailer (3,600 pounds total). Would happen even in 20 degree weather. 2019 stock Raptor. Never needed phasers replaced.
Interesting, did you ever do anything about it or just leave as is?

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Prior to my phasers being done on the Truck in December of 2021, I have never received a notification on the dash of my coolant temp. I have towed my boat many times during my ownership.

This April of 2022, while towing the boat (5klbs) in about 60 degree weather at 60 MPH with a headwind I would notice the temps climb upwards of 235 degrees. The gauge starts telling you temperatures at 226 to let you know you are getting toward the upper range as I understand and I dont have forscan enabled. I"m not sure where it derates, I believe around 250 + maybe? Point being here, is the engine never got this hot prior to having the phasers done and there seems to be quite a few complaints of this online, sometimes under load and in other circumstances sometimes without load of a trailer. Note: I normally dont see this under normal driving conditions but was able to reproduce it without a trailer the other day, its just not as pronounced. I was going up a hill unloaded with slight throttle applied and under boost and got it to spike to 232 again, always happens as you let off the accelerator after boost.

October 2022, first time I've towed the boat again (5k lbs), and when i hit a head wind , 60 degrees , on a slight grade I saw 235 , 5 different times. It also seems the fans are running quite a bit, this may be keeping temps in check as much as it can but may be excessive, I'm not sure.

It seems this may be a thermostat or water pump but many techs online are trying different things. Anyone with first hand knowledge?
There have been a few reports of thermostats sticking after being removed/reinstalled. I suspect it’s due to being exposed to air. I would replace the thermostat and re-evaluate.

OP
OP
dsiggi

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There have been a few reports of thermostats sticking after being removed/reinstalled. I suspect it’s due to being exposed to air. I would replace the thermostat and re-evaluate.
That makes the most sense based on what I have seen online. I have a ESP but the Dealer said they have to prove its the thermostat to replace, how do they do that? I'm not sure why they are giving me such a hard go around on this.

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes the most sense based on what I have seen online. I have a ESP but the Dealer said they have to prove its the thermostat to replace, how do they do that? I'm not sure why they are giving me such a hard go around on this.
For a thermostat, I'd just replace it myself if I were you. Avoid the hassle at the dealer considering it is such an easy and inexpensive job.

ba123

Reaction score
I think to prove it's the thermostat, they'd have to remove it and test. If it's covered by the ESP, then you'd then be covered if they approve but otherwise would be paying the dealer to do the work if it's not the thermostat and they did it anyway.

Agree that it might be easier to just do it yourself.

sfemti33

Reaction score

FYI, had the same issue as yours after phasers in my 2018. Dealership put in the new, updated thermostat which didn't fix it. They did the water pump next (with vacuum fill coolant). Didn't fix it. Now there with a radiator replacement so we shall see. All under my extended warranty so covered. But I feel your pain. Let us know if you find a good fix.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue and posted here about it as well. @FordTechOne suggested the thermostat as a possible culprit, so I did and have been seeing pre-cam phaser replacement temps ever since. I first noticed the temp rising the day after getting the truck back from dealer, I was hauling our small toy hauler on relatively flat highway in 45-deg temps without any headwind only to see temps rise over 230 when there were slight rises in the highway...a couple of days later it would even get that hot when I stepped into it to pass someone.
Thermostat did the trick.

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds pretty strange.
Hard to think of a way that timing events would change operating temps.
Could understand something in the coolant system being removed, replaced, disturbed having effect.
Good luck getting it sorted out.