2018 Aux Switch Differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

psufan

Reaction score
Those are the sizes. The two small wires in each bundle are indeed 24 awg stranded.

I just wired backup lights to Aux 6 yesterday. My Klein Katapult 8-22 awg stripper was not nearly small enough to strip the 24 awg wires. I bought a Klein 22-32 stranded stripper from Home Depot that did the job.

The aux and pass through wires are very short. I extended all six of the aux wires and all six of the pass through wires, by soldering a foot or so of 14 awg to each wire, then used two 6-way Deutsch connectors with pins and sockets.

I used a relay so the little bitty wires from the aux switches are ok, as they are just used as a trigger to the relay.

I'll eventually put some pictures up.

Best of luck with your project.

Thanks for the info. I'm wiring up 2 sets of squadron pros and a set of KC highlights. I was going to put them on 3-5, but maybe I'll just put them on 1-3, use 4 for a reverse set of squadron pros, and use relays for switch 5-6 for other things.

Really would love to know why the heck they went with 15/10/5 circuits when the super duty has a few 40 amp circuits. Would also love some proper sized wires.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really would love to know why the heck they went with 15/10/5 circuits when the super duty has a few 40 amp circuits. Would also love some proper sized wires.

I can only guess on the reasoning for the small wire sizes and low amp switches.

Could be that the alternator isn't powerful enough for anything larger, amperage wise. With a Super Duty you do get the option of two alternators.

The other thought is that Ford realizes that very few of us will ever journey off road, much less put in anything like a winch on our Raptors.

All of the aux and pass through wires are sufficient if using a relay.

The wire length has got to be a bean counter decision. It was a bit of a challenge splicing on the extra foot of wire. End result is good though.

Let us know how your install goes.

ovrlnd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent 10 minutes looking around for another set of wires because the right ones look like they belong in a toy car. They haven't melted yet though.

psufan

Reaction score
I can only guess on the reasoning for the small wire sizes and low amp switches.

Could be that the alternator isn't powerful enough for anything larger, amperage wise. With a Super Duty you do get the option of two alternators.

The other thought is that Ford realizes that very few of us will ever journey off road, much less put in anything like a winch on our Raptors.

All of the aux and pass through wires are sufficient if using a relay.

The wire length has got to be a bean counter decision. It was a bit of a challenge splicing on the extra foot of wire. End result is good though.

Let us know how your install goes.

That's the thing, to my understanding they aren't going through the switches. They are already hooked up with a relay from the switch and a fuse. They are just undersized. I don't mind running a relay, but ford was supposed to already do that work. It's also a 220amp alternator to my knowledge.

Last edited:

psufan

Reaction score
I did finish my install mid week last week but have yet to take any pictures. Used the raptorlights kit and 2 pairs of squadron pros (one spot, one wider cornering). Made my own wiring harness and put weatherpack connectors on all of the hot leads from the switches. Also found out that in my 18, the hot wire bundle is the one towards the engine, not the one towards the battery/fuse box. Will be making another wiring run to the back of the truck to run a set of squadron pros (floods) near the exhaust tips. I ended up using switches 1-3 for the install and will put the rear lights on 4. I'm going to put relays on 5-6 and use them for higher power applications. If I run out of switches, I'll combine 1/2 (front squadron pros) and reallocate.

I'm in search of good set of hood hinge brackets to put a set of XL80s near the bottom of the A-pillars. I think that will be plenty of light for what I need.

OffroadAlliance.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did finish my install mid week last week but have yet to take any pictures. Used the raptorlights kit and 2 pairs of squadron pros (one spot, one wider cornering). Made my own wiring harness and put weatherpack connectors on all of the hot leads from the switches. Also found out that in my 18, the hot wire bundle is the one towards the engine, not the one towards the battery/fuse box. Will be making another wiring run to the back of the truck to run a set of squadron pros (floods) near the exhaust tips. I ended up using switches 1-3 for the install and will put the rear lights on 4. I'm going to put relays on 5-6 and use them for higher power applications. If I run out of switches, I'll combine 1/2 (front squadron pros) and reallocate.

I'm in search of good set of hood hinge brackets to put a set of XL80s near the bottom of the A-pillars. I think that will be plenty of light for what I need.

We’re considering making these too. Here are the ones that we currently sell.

https://fordraptorlights.com/collections/a-pillar-lights

Some people hav told me that they need to be more adjustable...I haven’t used them so can’t comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah_tan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I figured it out, the 2018 wire colors are different.

Aux 1 Green/White
Aux 2 Brown/Blue
Aux 3 Gray/Yellow
Aux 4 Green/Yellow
Aux 5 Brown/White
Aux 6 Green/Orange

Also my hot leads were the ones to the drivers side of the truck, buy the ecm wire connectors circled in the pic. From my understanding this is opposite of the 2017's. I will post more info when the install is done.

Can confirm this is correct on my 2018....I initially wired it up to the pass thoroughs (never checked with multimeter) based on the supplemental instructions.

Last edited: