2017 needs new engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bullitt47

Reaction score
Just wanted to share this to see of anyone else has had similar issues and to get some ideas/opinions. My raptor is a 2017 with mileage in the high 20k. Bought it new. A couple of times past several years when I would go to accelerate basically nothing would happen, I would let yo off the gas and push back down on the gas and then it would go. This only happened a couple of times I didn't think anything off it other than the transmission not making up its mind as to which gear to go in. Back in November this started happening again but much worse when i was in my way to work- engine rpms would drop, oil pressure guage drops to zero, and warning light pops up on the dash saying low/no oil. I immediately pull over and shut off it off. I look underneath expecting to find oil every and don't see any. Still has oil so I turn it back on and it's fine- no lights and oil pressure is normal. Brought it to the dealer on December 2nd and they said it had oil and might be a sensor or something. Then they call me a couple of days later and tell me it needs a new engine. Metal shaving were found in the oil, and the crankshaft and driver side cams were scorched. Still don't know why it had an oil issue to begin with as they haven't told me. They ordered a new engine and everything is covered under warranty. Its now February 8th and my truck is still at the dealer. Apparently a new engine doesn't come assembled as a crate engine but they have to order each piece separately and then assemble it at the dealership. They said they are still waiting on two parts to come in.

I think its ridiculous that it would need a new engine at only 3 years old and absurd that over 2 months have gone by and its not fixed, and sounds like it won't be for another week or two at a minimum.

Anyone else have an issue like this? Any recommendations on what I should do? And how am I suppose to know if they put a high output eco boost in there or a regular f150 engine?

Thanks.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
That sounds like there was a defective oil pump or it was out of oil. I know that sounds a bit insulting, don’t take it that way. We had a lot of guys on here have the leaking valve cover issue, limp mode, go to dealer who tells them they’re several quarts of oil low. If the sender was defective, and you were low on oil it probably wouldn’t take long to cause enough damage to warrant replacement.

Full engine replacements are rare.
You should let the dealer replace the engine, presumably under powertrain warranty. They’re not going to stuff a non-HO 3.5 in there.

OP
OP
B

Bullitt47

Reaction score
The dealer said it wasn't low on oil when they looked at it. I guess the oil just was not being properly circulated throughout the engine.

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need some further clarification from the service advisor - did they mention anything about how they were replacing the engine (long block / short block) or what specific part(s) they were waiting on (perhaps waiting on a back-ordered / delayed part) ?

goblues38

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think its ridiculous that it would need a new engine at only 3 years old and absurd that over 2 months have gone by and its not fixed, and sounds like it won't be for another week or two at a minimum.

Thanks.

COVID has made EVERYTHING take for ever. Even toilette paper. With a mass produced machine, you are bound to get a failure in a small sample size. just sucks that by bad luck of the draw, you were the winner. Completely random.

Any recommendations on what I should do? And how am I suppose to know if they put a high output eco boost in there or a regular f150 engine?

Thanks.

Relax, let the techs do their job. Accept the new motor and enjoy your truck when it comes back. ZERO chance the put the "wrong" motor back in. lol

MarkM98

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find it odd that a dealer service department would have to build the engine. Normally they would get a crate engine or a long block or short block at the least. This has me curious if the 2021 3.5 HO is different enough from the Gen 2 3.5 HO that the supply chain for the engines are already on production for the Gen3 Raptor engine and stopped on the Gen2 parts temporarily?

I hope the dealer service department gets your engine built and installed back into your Raptor soon.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I find it odd that a dealer service department would have to build the engine. Normally they would get a crate engine or a long block or short block at the least. This has me curious if the 2021 3.5 HO is different enough from the Gen 2 3.5 HO that the supply chain for the engines are already on production for the Gen3 Raptor engine and stopped on the Gen2 parts temporarily?

I hope the dealer service department gets your engine built and installed back into your Raptor soon.

you def can get a crate engine someone on here was posting how they had a replacement & cost was like $10k

def can get a turnkey Ford 3.5 HO crate motor - there is currently a supply chain squeeze on chips/semiconductors that’s crimping new vehicle production, don’t think that would effect engine production though- who knows though there’s a lot of electronics throughout the truck

I know Fords making plenty of engines- selling em plenty of aluminum & they’re taking delivery ASAP lol

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What kind of oil, oil filter, and oil change intervals have you been running?

That type of damage is typically only seen when foreign material gets into the oil or the oil is run low, which there was a TSB for on 2017 models.

Ford does not service the internal engine components under warranty; you’ll either be getting short block or long block. Since the heads were damaged, it will most likely be a long block. The technician then needs to transfer over components such as the intake/exhaust manifolds, fuel injectors, accessory drive, etc.

micreorge

Reaction score
That same thing happened to me one time where I lost all pressure and warning lights came on and nothing would really work. However, I was able to barely limp after restarting to get off of the road into a parking lot. Mine ended up being my high output fuel injector o think it’s called. They fixed that and it works perfectly now. Maybe not related at all but it sounded familiar at first. Crazy yours needed a new engine. Mine is an 18 and it had about 35k on it.