2017, has power but engine won't turn over or start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GroundSloth

Reaction score
2017, ~33,000 miles.

Everything electronic turns on when I try to start it (radio, headlights, etc) but the engine won't turn over or start. It says "press brake to start" so I press the brake and press the power button but nothing happens. I tried jumping it thinking it needed extra juice, that didn't fix it. AAA came and jumped it and tested the battery, battery is fine. Brake lights come on when I push the brake in. I tried cycling from Park to Neutral to Drive and back to park, that didn't fix it. It just says "press brake to start" "cross traffic system fault" "auxiliary power" or something like that "door ajar" "hood ajar", etc etc.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is the starter. Have you checked the starter connections, might be corroded. You could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if it resets the system, if you're stuck on the side of the road. Otherwise, check the fuses, etc.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF
Pictures. or it’s a prius.

stock or modified?
what recent changes?

If you don’t already have FORSCAN, you should get it (free, works on Windoze computers) and an OBD2 connecter off amazon and pull the codes. That may help narrow down what’s gone awry.

Socal Mach

Reaction score
2017, ~33,000 miles.

Everything electronic turns on when I try to start it (radio, headlights, etc) but the engine won't turn over or start. It says "press brake to start" so I press the brake and press the power button but nothing happens. I tried jumping it thinking it needed extra juice, that didn't fix it. AAA came and jumped it and tested the battery, battery is fine. Brake lights come on when I push the brake in. I tried cycling from Park to Neutral to Drive and back to park, that didn't fix it. It just says "press brake to start" "cross traffic system fault" "auxiliary power" or something like that "door ajar" "hood ajar", etc etc.

Has anyone had a similar problem?
Saw this after i posted my thread. Did you end up finding anything out? I'm having the exact same problem on my 2018.

OP
OP
G

GroundSloth

Reaction score
First thing that comes to mind is the starter. Have you checked the starter connections, might be corroded. You could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and see if it resets the system, if you're stuck on the side of the road. Otherwise, check the fuses, etc.
I'd disconnected the battery, it didn't fix the problem. I ended up having to have it towed to the shop.

Saw this after i posted my thread. Did you end up finding anything out? I'm having the exact same problem on my 2018.
It ended up being an electrical issue. TCM failure I believe. Replaced under warranty.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran some diagnostics with my Pro-Cal - two DTCs -
- P2C0C - no description
- P0000 - no description
- P1703 - Brake Switch Out Of Self Test Range

can't find anything on the first two - on the third, sounds like the brake switch fault - however - wouldn't the truck tell me to "press the brake pedal to start" ? but I'm not getting that message....