Brake Pedal won't depress - can't start Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird issue.
Truck drove fine - pulled into parking lot, turn off, jumped out.

About an hour later - jumped in - went to push the brake pedal down to start the truck - and the pedal would not budge - so I could not start the truck.

I smashed on it, looked to see if something came loose, something was blocking - nothing.

I finally grabbed the rod from the pedal that goes through the firewall (to the booster) and gave it a slight twist with some pilers. Didn't feel like I was able to spin it at all - but - all of a sudden the brake pedal was free to travel and truck started fine.

Drove home - no problems at all.....

any insight?

2020FordRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird issue.

About an hour later - jumped in - went to push the brake pedal down to start the truck - and the pedal would not budge - so I could not start the truck.

I smashed on it, looked to see if something came loose, something was blocking - nothing.

I finally grabbed the rod from the pedal that goes through the firewall (to the booster) and gave it a slight twist with some pilers. Didn't feel like I was able to spin it at all - but - all of a sudden the brake pedal was free to travel and truck started fine.

any insight?
Very interesting. Something had to stop the pedal from depressing.

HAP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird issue.

any insight?
I had the same thing happen on my 19 Mustang GT. It just fixed itself though. Only happened once.

R,
HAP

JorgesRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Audi SQ5 does this every so often, never figured out if it was a “problem” though. Most people in the Audi forum attributed it to having the brake pedal depressed while turning off the car. Since then just made sure I didn’t do that and viola, problem hasn’t returned.

Haven’t had this in the Raptor though, yet.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a wild guess but brake booster/vacuum hose?

Check fluid level and master cylinder.

20leadfoot

Reaction score
Weird issue.

any insight?
Do you have a Cobb tune installed? Mine did the exact same thing after doing the new update that Cobb put out for its AP. Brake pedal wouldn't budge and truck would not turn over. After letting it sit for about half an hour it finally went back to normal and started right up. Hasn't done it since.

jimmyjamm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be linked the transmission safety, where the brake has to be depressed to shift the transmission?---I have seen this happen in Audis a very long time ago when they had a cable interlock that released the transmission shifter after the brake was depressed, if the transmission was put in Park on a hill so the park pin was under pressure that it wouldn't let you shift out of Park, it caused a reverse lockout of the brake pedal since the shifter could not be depressed....anyway, just a thought