2017 f150 365/450

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
You're making it sound like there were 2 independent engine projects going on separately and only coincidence they're both 3.5s. A 2nd gen 3.5 for the f150, and then a totally separate GT supercar 3.5 that was detuned for the Raptor. Sorry that's not how it works in that field.

There is one new 2nd generation 3.5 platform, that is then tweaked with several variations of it. The regular f150 baseline version, a tweaked raptor version, and an even further tweaked GT version. Still all the same 2nd gen 3.5 at heart, with varying levels of changes to it.

Also just because ford dropped the news in a certain sequence, doesn't mean that's the order they came about behind the scenes.....rather a sequence that is best for the press.

GT is announced with a new 3.5....WTF? Guess it's good if it's in a supercar
Raptor is announced with a new 3.5....WOW, the Raptor is getting a GT engine!
F150 is announced with a new 3.5....WOW, the f150 is getting a Raptor engine with a couple less ponies

vs.

F150 isannounced with a new 3.5....big whoop it's already got a 3.5 now
Raptor is announced with a new 3.5....big shoes to fill, it's just another f150 engine
GT is announced with a new 3.5....WTF they're putting an f150 engine in the GT?

See what I mean?

The Ford GT program started back in 2013. So it's pretty clear the order they announced the succession of motors/vehicles is correct.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're making it sound like there were 2 independent engine projects going on separately and only coincidence they're both 3.5s. A 2nd gen 3.5 for the f150, and then a totally separate GT supercar 3.5 that was detuned for the Raptor. Sorry that's not how it works in that field.

There is one new 2nd generation 3.5 platform, that is then tweaked with several variations of it. The regular f150 baseline version, a tweaked raptor version, and an even further tweaked GT version. Still all the same 2nd gen 3.5 at heart, with varying levels of changes to it.

Also just because ford dropped the news in a certain sequence, doesn't mean that's the order they came about behind the scenes.....rather a sequence that is best for the press.

GT is announced with a new 3.5....WTF? Guess it's good if it's in a supercar
Raptor is announced with a new 3.5....WOW, the Raptor is getting a GT engine!
F150 is announced with a new 3.5....WOW, the f150 is getting a Raptor engine with a couple less ponies

vs.

F150 isannounced with a new 3.5....big whoop it's already got a 3.5 now
Raptor is announced with a new 3.5....big shoes to fill, it's just another f150 engine
GT is announced with a new 3.5....WTF they're putting an f150 engine in the GT?

See what I mean?

It may not have come across that way, but that was the point I was making. Three variants and each is different based off tune, internals, etc.

Trick.Raptor

The Cracker Raptor
Reaction score
not arguing for no reason, someone comes in and says I'm entirely misinformed because they lack reading comprehension? I'm going to point out where their argument falls apart.

regardless of which vehicle it rolls off the assembly line first, doesn't change the fact that the raptor 3.5 will be a lot more similar to the one that lands in the f150 for the masses, than it will the one that lands in the GT for the privileged few.

But you know what they say....

mpossible-to-win-and-argument-with-an-idiot--88bb3.png

When you realize how you sound... revert to memes instead of valid counter points lol

Indeedy do!

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Ford GT program started back in 2013. So it's pretty clear the order they announced the succession of motors/vehicles is correct.

The GT program may have started in '13, but the 3.5 ecoboost program hit the market in '11 models back in '10, which means the 3.5 program probably started several years before that. I'm sure by the time it was stamped final and released for '11, that there were a laundry list of changes/improvements/redesigns in the queue for a 2nd generation of the 3.5 by the time it hit market on the 1st gen. That's how a lot of engineering cycles for a product work, especially in face paced automotive fields. Typically by the time the first baseline hits the market, there's already an entire stack of improvements and changes in line for a 2nd gen.

Also there have been several ecoboost racecars running those 12 & 24 hour classes etc. for years now before the GT was ever announced, and before the 2nd gen ecoboost was announced. It really doesn't matter what came first the chicken or the egg, the simple fact is there's a 2nd gen 3.5 coming out, there's 3 variants of it, and lucky for gen 2 raptor owners, they're getting a special version of an engine this time around instead of the same exact powertrain as other high trim level f150's.

It may not have come across that way, but that was the point I was making. Three variants and each is different based off tune, internals, etc.

Where's the beer or thumbs up smiley? lol

From what I've now learned, the Mustang 5.0L is just slightly tweaked from the 1991 Mustang 5.0L.

That logic about falls in line with the rest of your arguments on the new GT-Raptor-Supertruck lol :crazy: