2017 f150 365/450

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Damn I thought we were going to hear some Raptor numbers today. Oh well, at least its something vaguely related.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
was hoping for more info as well.....at least it's some news for the regular f150 guys.

I foresee a stronger performance aftermarket with the gen 2's if it's really the case that the turbos & manifolds are different.....aftermarket will offer bigger/better for the Raptors, and Raptor owners will be able to sell their stock stuff as an upgrade to regular f150 guys.

Gilligan

Reaction score
So there is going to be a raptor specific engine in the gen2's? That's surprising to me..

Can't imagine the price tag on that...

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So there is going to be a raptor specific engine in the gen2's? That's surprising to me..

Can't imagine the price tag on that...

Yes that's been the news all along. It's not 100% unique to the raptor, it's still a 3.5 ecoboost, and they're sharing pretty much all of the technology/parts across the board as the 2017+ regular f150's are also getting the new engine, new dual injection, etc. The GT supercar is getting the new 3.5 with even more upgraded parts. The Raptor is just a variant of that all-new 3.5 that every f150 is getting with some tweaks. Ford has done this countless times over the years. 03-04 cobra's were still a 4v 4.6 just blown with different internals. 99-04 Lightnings were still a 2v 5.4 like all the other f150's just blown with a forged crank and lower compression pistons. Prices weren't sky high compared to the regular versions of those motors. Small premium but not ridiculous. The Raptor getting a variant of the new 3.5 makes sense, a different set of pistons, maybe a cam profile change, and turbo/manifolds, small peanuts in the grand scheme of things but enough to make it a powerful raptor specific one.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Yes that's been the news all along. It's not 100% unique to the raptor, it's still a 3.5 ecoboost, and they're sharing pretty much all of the technology/parts across the board as the 2017+ regular f150's are also getting the new engine, new dual injection, etc. The GT supercar is getting the new 3.5 with even more upgraded parts. The Raptor is just a variant of that all-new 3.5 that every f150 is getting with some tweaks. Ford has done this countless times over the years. 03-04 cobra's were still a 4v 4.6 just blown with different internals. 99-04 Lightnings were still a 2v 5.4 like all the other f150's just blown with a forged crank and lower compression pistons. Prices weren't sky high compared to the regular versions of those motors. Small premium but not ridiculous. The Raptor getting a variant of the new 3.5 makes sense, a different set of pistons, maybe a cam profile change, and turbo/manifolds, small peanuts in the grand scheme of things but enough to make it a powerful raptor specific one.

You're entirely misinformed. The Raptor 3.5L is sharing most of it's technology and internals with the Ford GT.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You're entirely misinformed. The Raptor 3.5L is sharing most of it's technology and internals with the Ford GT.

you're entirely misinformed due to reading comprehension lol. I never said the Raptor 3.5 wasn't getting some of the same technology or parts.

There is one new 3.5 platform, the baseline variant is going into the 2017+ f150's, a raptor variant with a bit more power is going into the 2017+ raptors, and a GT variant with a lot more power is going into the 2017+ GT supercar. They're all going to share parts, but it still hasn't been published from what I've seen yet, of what extent of sharing they'll do. The internals may be different between the Raptor and GT versions, it all depends what compression, cam profile, etc. they go with on them. I have a feeling the GT will have different cams just from such a huge weight difference and different applications of what the power will be used for. There may be a compression difference as well.

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
you're entirely misinformed due to reading comprehension lol. I never said the Raptor 3.5 wasn't getting some of the same technology or parts.

There is one new 3.5 platform, the baseline variant is going into the 2017+ f150's, a raptor variant with a bit more power is going into the 2017+ raptors, and a GT variant with a lot more power is going into the 2017+ GT supercar. They're all going to share parts, but it still hasn't been published from what I've seen yet, of what extent of sharing they'll do. The internals may be different between the Raptor and GT versions, it all depends what compression, cam profile, etc. they go with on them. I have a feeling the GT will have different cams just from such a huge weight difference and different applications of what the power will be used for. There may be a compression difference as well.

Yes you did. You said, "they're sharing pretty much all of the technology/parts across the board as the 2017+ regular f150's....." Which is incorrect. They are largely sharing internals and tech with the GT. It's OK to be wrong, it's even happened to me, once.