2017 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain or Wastegate Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rmahone5

Reaction score
My Raptor is making a very similar noise I took it in and my dealer found it needed a timing chain and cam phaser. Only on the right side bank they ordered the parts and i have been driving it 3 weeks waiting on the parts to come in. I'm actually taking it Monday too have the work done it took 3-4 weeks for them to get parts this is a common issue.

rtmozingo

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My Raptor is making a very similar noise I took it in and my dealer found it needed a timing chain and cam phaser. Only on the right side bank they ordered the parts and i have been driving it 3 weeks waiting on the parts to come in. I'm actually taking it Monday too have the work done it took 3-4 weeks for them to get parts this is a common issue.

Common issue for engines? Ours specifically, ecoboosts, in general, or just Ford engines?

Fastback89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common issue for engines? Ours specifically, ecoboosts, in general, or just Ford engines?
I'm curious myself, my 18 is very quiet and I'm wondering if they had a bad batch of engines a while back that is where the issue is. Maybe metal oil pan engines got the updated phasers? Just a theory

khcdave

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Its the throttle blade rattling in the throttle body (opening and closing). We have had a couple that do this. Gets worse with an intake. Pull the air cleaner out while its running to confirm. You can feel it also on the throttle body

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Ecoboosts > engineered to fail

Let’s take a critical look at the percentage of failed ecoboosts vs failed Mopars, shall we?

No need, never mind.

Seriously, it’s time for you to leave FRF. Your trolling is ********.

pastorwug

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its the throttle blade rattling in the throttle body (opening and closing). We have had a couple that do this. Gets worse with an intake. Pull the air cleaner out while its running to confirm. You can feel it also on the throttle body
I'm going to try this, it's not a solution by any means but it may help in resolving this issue at the dealership.