2017 3.5 Ecoboost Timing Chain or Wastegate Rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solidred

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this sound happen immediately at start-up? I have or should say had that sound. At start-up idle was high after about a min idle lowered and that’s when the sound from video would occur on my raptor. Another minute sound was gone. Because it was occurring exactly the same seemed to be normal. I mentioned it to dealer first month of ownership and they wanted to keep it over night, I didn’t want to leave it so I just kept monitoring it. Talked to a couple mechanics and theory was it was the high pressure fuel pump for the port injection. Fast forward to my last oil change, I convinced my dealer to update the PCM, noise is barely noticeable and doesn’t occur when it did before and only last for 5 seconds or so. This leads me to believe the software corrected the issue, or the sound we are hearing is a fuel pump. Who knows truck runs good no power loss and no weird sounds when warmed.

Jake17

★ REBEL LIFE ★
Reaction score
this'll happen to all of 'em...eventually
:win:

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove the truck around all last night, no noise on startup.

Started it this morning, noise came to life after idling for about 15-20 seconds. The minute I put it in gear, it quit.
Does this still sound like the timing chain/cam phasers?

Seems to me like its coming from right behind the radiator, almost like the belt drive or AC compressor

OP
OP
W

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this sound happen immediately at start-up? I have or should say had that sound. At start-up idle was high after about a min idle lowered and that’s when the sound from video would occur on my raptor. Another minute sound was gone. Because it was occurring exactly the same seemed to be normal. I mentioned it to dealer first month of ownership and they wanted to keep it over night, I didn’t want to leave it so I just kept monitoring it. Talked to a couple mechanics and theory was it was the high pressure fuel pump for the port injection. Fast forward to my last oil change, I convinced my dealer to update the PCM, noise is barely noticeable and doesn’t occur when it did before and only last for 5 seconds or so. This leads me to believe the software corrected the issue, or the sound we are hearing is a fuel pump. Who knows truck runs good no power loss and no weird sounds when warmed.

No the sound came to life about 15-20 seconds after startup. When I put the truck into gear, it quit, immediately.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started my truck up in 35F weather. Never heard this before. Blipped the throttle and it immediately stopped.

Is this the timing chain or wastegate rattle?

Not wastegate rattle nor the common cam phaser startup issue. Your truck sounds EXACTLY like my 5.4L did when it blew a timing chain tensioner seal and starved the phasers and top end. The motor was trashed, all bearings wiped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wreedsvt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Truck is gone, have a 3.0l Diesel King Ranch now. It sounded horrible yesterday, not gonna screw with that. This really turned me off to the Eco.

0r30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m curious to know what motor oil everyone encountering this issue is using.

OPT PRIME

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mobile 1 5-30 Motorcraft. It’s not the brand of oil, it’s a design flaw between volume, passages, phaser specs, system capacity, start stop, etc. They are designing new phasers now. This will anger some, that engine was not ready for prime time.