2012 Raptor Info Hitting News Stands March 28th?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Ya, well nothing mixes well with dirt...except coeds. :naughty:

Rally racers, baja runners, dune buggies...they have all run turbos in dirt and sand with no problems. Ya, you can find cases of turbos blowing from offroading, but you can find cases of naturally aspirated engines having issues as well. Offroading is tough on machines no matter the power plant. If you stay on top of your air filters (Uni with oil or the like) and engine maintenance then what's the issue? :shrug:

Rally cars and dune buggies don't see the same dust that we see in the dezert, not sure what a baja runner is, but I can tell you that no one runs a turbo and has success in any race series that I know of. If turbos worked in the dezert you would see guys with unlimited budget's running a turbo system, but since no one with GOD's $ can get them to work I highly doubt you or I can get them to hold together.
Now you say if you stay on top of your filters you should be ok, so what your saying is that you want to change filter's every 30-50 miles? I don't know of a single guy that wants to change a filter every lap, let alone change it out when following your buddies from point A to point B.

Now the truck below had a turbo, had nothing but problems with it every race we went to, if it wasn't one thing it was another, all due to the turbo. The owner of the truck is considered an expert in the turbo world and he couldn't get it to work.

Attachments

• Chris's truck in Glen Helen.jpg
    Chris's truck in Glen Helen.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 40

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
Ford would absolutely dominate the OEM offroad truck market for years...

Rally racers, baja runners, dune buggies...they have all run turbos in dirt and sand with no problems. Ya, you can find cases of turbos blowing from offroading, but you can find cases of naturally aspirated engines having issues as well. Offroading is tough on machines no matter the power plant. If you stay on top of your air filters (Uni with oil or the like) and engine maintenance then what's the issue? :shrug:

I wasn't talking turbo for a race truck, thats suicide. but on a raptor that occasionally sees the dirt I don't imagine any probs

I was reffering to BMart, not your post
Sorry

One other thing to think about is turbo lag, that is another thing you do not want in the dirt, if you need the power to get yourself out of trouble and you have to wait you can really be phucked

Last edited:

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
I'm more on wht's wavelength...turbos can run offroad just fine so long as you're not knowingly (or ignorantly) mistreating them. Yes they would have a hard time running behind a convoy of buggies kicking up dirt for hours on end at high RPM's, but any engine sucking in that much dirt would. Ford just ran the Ecoboost in the Baja with McCarthy last November and it exceeded expectations, and as far as I know neither turbo failed. Not saying it would be a good idea to take a turbo and run it through brown clouds all day, just that turbos can hold their own offroad if you take care of them. And as wht said, Ford has done a pretty good job sharing the turbo responsibility with the smaller turbos, and has reduced the lag quite a bit. :word:

A.I.I.Raciing

Dezert 8MYMNEY
Reaction score
If they can hold their own, then why doesn't a single trophy truck or class 1 run a turbo?

McCarthy also has a team of Ford Engineers out there working on the truck when needed, and the last time I looked I didn't have that option.

Last edited:

BMart

FRF Resident Artist
Reaction score
If they can hold their own, then why doesn't a single trophy truck or class 1 run a turbo?

McCarthy also has a team of Ford Engineers out there working on the truck when needed, and the last time I looked I didn't have that option.

Obviously those ARE running in a dust cloud all day. Fewer parts means there is less to break, but you know this. I probably should have avoided the bit about the off road racers that occasionally do have turbos, because that was a moot point. My opinion is that in commercial vehicles turbos shouldn't be a problem because they aren't in those aforementioned conditions constantly. If the Ecoboost couldn't make it in offroad use, then Ford would be recalling all the boosted 4x4s, and moreover, the engineers wouldn't have put it in a pickup truck in the first place.

Last edited:

gcross

Reaction score
So did anyone get a chance to see if Truck Trend had info on the 2012 Ford Raptor?

Thanks,

HARLEY6LF250SDU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was in the 2012 order bank and came acreoss this info

Model Year: 12 Body/Series: W1R
SEL OPT Description
_ PQ RACE RED *** new for 12 (and no Molt Org)
_ SZ BLUE FLAME
_ UH TUXEDO BLACK
_ UX INGOT SILVER
_ YZ OXFORD WHITE

BUT I could not build a 2012 Raptor YET??

randy