2011 68k miles recently purchased, could this be the culprit? Of the shake and shimmy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know part of the issue is the suspension needs to be rebuilt but could this be the main culprit when making a left hand turn. I feel crazy wheel shake and the urge to push or jump left. Old Suspension or bushing on sway bar? Or both? Is that the sway bar even? Need help.

8C65FD68-3928-4FA5-9C5F-C2CFDD239A42.jpeg
E6AB9441-3766-4531-9B24-7A012EA62763.jpeg

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, those are your sway bar end links, but, I doubt that will cause the issue. Could be ball joints though, I'm no expert though. Jack up under the lower control arm enough that the tire is off the ground, then give it a good pull back ad forth on the top and bottom of the tire and see if you have any "play"

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those are your sway bar end links, but, I doubt that will cause the issue. Could be ball joints though, I'm no expert though. Jack up under the lower control arm enough that the tire is off the ground, then give it a good pull back ad forth on the top and bottom of the tire and see if you have any "play"
Thanks! Fingers crossed for not the ball joints.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions on replacement? OEM or aftermarket? Any heavy duty versions etc?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Symptoms sound almost like 4wd engaging or alignment way out of whack??

I agree with @BlueOvalF22, sway bar is really easy to test, unbolt both sides at the LCA and zip tie it up and see if problem persists (or remove entirely).

Balljoints also easy to check, for uppers jack one side up and push/pull top of tire like @CoronaRaptor said. While it’s up check tie rod play by doing the same at front/rear of tire. For lowers raise it just off the ground and use a prybar in front of the tire; in all cases you should feel no play at all.

Looks like front shocks are already at mid perch, nice. Good luck!

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
If the sway bar links look damaged, replace them, they are cheap and easy. The jumping around turning left sounds like tie rod ends or steering links to me. I doubt you will have control arm issues with mileage that low unless the truck was abused. You can check the steering links by having someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you lay on on the ground and look at the steering parts.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Don't guess and throw the parts shotgun at it, that's a waste of money and can only lead to a lighter wallet and frustration with the truck. Diagnosing your problem over the internet with some pictures and a brief description is just guessing... do it properly.

Jack up one corner, try to rock the wheel side to side, listen for any clunking, can you get any travel? Try to rock the wheel up and down, same diagnostics. Jack up the other corner, repeat. Report back with findings.

Based on your post this sounds like wheel bearings or tie rods to me, but testing is necessary.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't guess and throw the parts shotgun at it, that's a waste of money and can only lead to a lighter wallet and frustration with the truck. Diagnosing your problem over the internet with some pictures and a brief description is just guessing... do it properly.

Jack up one corner, try to rock the wheel side to side, listen for any clunking, can you get any travel? Try to rock the wheel up and down, same diagnostics. Jack up the other corner, repeat. Report back with findings.

Based on your post this sounds like wheel bearings or tie rods to me, but testing is necessary.
this just sounds so familiar.........

take @B E N s advice. he knows. i speak from first hand experience. he helped me with my truck.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Symptoms sound almost like 4wd engaging or alignment way out of whack??

I agree with @BlueOvalF22, sway bar is really easy to test, unbolt both sides at the LCA and zip tie it up and see if problem persists (or remove entirely).

Balljoints also easy to check, for uppers jack one side up and push/pull top of tire like @CoronaRaptor said. While it’s up check tie rod play by doing the same at front/rear of tire. For lowers raise it just off the ground and use a prybar in front of the tire; in all cases you should feel no play at all.

Looks like front shocks are already at mid perch, nice. Good luck!
I’m afraid it’s a bigger fix than alignment. I’m glad I can check 4wd off the list. But I better get to work on the rest of your suggestions. Thanks for the input! How can you tell its mid perch?