2011 68k miles recently purchased, could this be the culprit? Of the shake and shimmy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't guess and throw the parts shotgun at it, that's a waste of money and can only lead to a lighter wallet and frustration with the truck. Diagnosing your problem over the internet with some pictures and a brief description is just guessing... do it properly.

Jack up one corner, try to rock the wheel side to side, listen for any clunking, can you get any travel? Try to rock the wheel up and down, same diagnostics. Jack up the other corner, repeat. Report back with findings.

Based on your post this sounds like wheel bearings or tie rods to me, but testing is necessary.

completely agree but I have no prior knowledge base to know basic at home diagnostics techniques. That’s why I am starting here to properly understand issues and maybe narrow my scope. Thanks for your suggestions and input but I’m not guessing or replacing any parts. This is information gathering.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m afraid it’s a bigger fix than alignment. I’m glad I can check 4wd off the list. But I better get to work on the rest of your suggestions. Thanks for the input! How can you tell its mid perch?
See that groove in the shock body just below the lower spring perch? That's where the circlip lives when it holds that spring perch at the lowest setting, like it came from the factory. If you can see two grooves it's on top perch, even more preload on the spring and can potentially cause issues with CV joints. I like mid perch, reduces nosedive significantly and firms up the front in general. Also it's a pain to move that spring perch lol!

OP
OP
Cowpoke

Cowpoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See that groove in the shock body just below the lower spring perch? That's where the circlip lives when it holds that spring perch at the lowest setting, like it came from the factory. If you can see two grooves it's on top perch, even more preload on the spring and can potentially cause issues with CV joints. I like mid perch, reduces nosedive significantly and firms up the front in general. Also it's a pain to move that spring perch lol!
Thanks and good to know. Great now to add cv joint to the list! Hahah

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m afraid it’s a bigger fix than alignment. I’m glad I can check 4wd off the list. But I better get to work on the rest of your suggestions. Thanks for the input! How can you tell its mid perch?
WHen you look at the shocks (front) you can see the first ring where the collar would lock into, if you saw 2 rings it would be top perch or if you saw no rings it would be the factory bottom perch setting. Just under the coil spring on the base of the shock, fyi.

Edit: oops, see it was already answered, lol, don't know why those posts didn't show up before.

Last edited:

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
completely agree but I have no prior knowledge base to know basic at home diagnostics techniques. That’s why I am starting here to properly understand issues and maybe narrow my scope. Thanks for your suggestions and input but I’m not guessing or replacing any parts. This is information gathering.

It sounds intimidating, but really if you go through those steps and post the results I will help you diagnose it.

If you would prefer to have a shop do the diagnosis: any shop that does alignments should be able to do a front end inspection for you for minimal cost. A good mechanic can find 90% of front end problems just by inspecting your tires.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the only real side effect of worn out sway bar end link bushings is noise. I was redoing the suspension on my mom's suburban - the bushings on the end links had rotted and fallen off - there were none. If you had the radio on and windows up, you would never even know.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Until the balls loosen so much that they release.

Then the sway bar pops free, catches the road, bends to hell destroying who knows what and scaring the bejesus out of the driver. Probably locking up the steering and sending you careening into a school bus full of crippled children.

Alright enough of the fake news.

Cheap part, don't even have to jack up the truck to replace them... why would you not? If you don't want the full benefit of the sway bar remove it, its 4 bolts and 2 nuts. If you do want it, maintain it.

dsg2003mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Until the balls loosen so much that they release.

Then the sway bar pops free, catches the road, bends to hell destroying who knows what and scaring the bejesus out of the driver. Probably locking up the steering and sending you careening into a school bus full of crippled children.

Alright enough of the fake news.

Cheap part, don't even have to jack up the truck to replace them... why would you not? If you don't want the full benefit of the sway bar remove it, its 4 bolts and 2 nuts. If you do want it, maintain it.

completely agree, just saying thats not causing his issue