GEN 2 18 Screw white smoke pouring out of both pipes at start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Warhog

Warhog

Reaction score
First off I appreciate all the feedback but what would cause a loss of power or the hesitation when you get on it, it feels like it wants to go faster but, also no check engine lights which the service writer was surprised. He also said he heard a weird noice when he reved it up

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What you are describing is exactly what I had happen on one of my other vehicles recently. What started with a small puff of smoke at the beginning of a race ended up being a huge puff and smoke pouring out a couple of hours later. Lost power almost immediately, very similar to what you are describing is what leads me to believe you are having a turbo seal failure vs the valve cover issue. There may not be a engine light or code come up due to the failure. Not sure how the sensor mapping is done on our Raptor for this.

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is coolant (at least it was when it was green,lol) blue smoke would be oil.

So turbo seal oil or water could be a possibility ?

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I still don't agree with the valve cover thing. I understand it puts out some small molecules of oil, especially when you get on it. He's talking about at start up. I can't see it spitting enough oil at idle to put out big time smoke. Something else is the issue. I just changed my oil today after 5000 and my catch can had about an ounce in it. I get on mine quite often to and take it through the gears to about 100. Only an ounce in 5000? That's not a great bit of blow by. Never had any issues. Hey Twizzlestix, Nice looking family of pups you have there.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I still don't agree with the valve cover thing. I understand it puts out some small molecules of oil, especially when you get on it. He's talking about at start up. I can't see it spitting enough oil at idle to put out big time smoke. Something else is the issue. I just changed my oil today after 5000 and my catch can had about an ounce in it. I get on mine quite often to and take it through the gears to about 100. Only an ounce in 5000? That's not a great bit of blow by. Never had any issues. Hey Twizzlestix, Nice looking family of pups you have there.

It was enough of an issue that Ford issued a bulletin over it. This has been reported here before. It is just needing the updated valve covers.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just an FYI, I was able to find the thread from last year where someone here had the same issue. Ended up being the left side turbo on his Raptor. The dealership also changed the valve cover gaskets and the PCV. The valve and gaskets were changed as Ford procedure, main issue was the turbo.