GEN 2 18 Screw white smoke pouring out of both pipes at start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warhog

Reaction score
so I have had smoke coming out of both pipes on start up for awhile, didn’t think much about it at the time it was cold in the mornings so I figured it was temp controlled, but I started to notice when I would get on the throttle the truck felt like it was being held back almost like it wanted to go faster but couldn’t. This morning I started it up and it definitely wasn’t cold out side and it was smoking like a fire was just put out, then after about 10 min it went away, well brought in to the local dealer and he told me it’s rare but could be bad turbo or seal and it could take about 3-5 weeks before it’s fixed because of part issues. Also mention that I have a COBB stage 1 installed which I deleted prior to bringing it in. Just wanted to get some feed back. I am sure there is a thread on this so don’t beat me up to bad for starting a new thread I am a rookie when it comes to forums

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a common issue. Ford has released a service bulletin regarding this and you will get new valve covers. In the meantime before your service visit, make sure you are checking your oil level daily. You are most likely a few quarts low at this point.

OP
OP
Warhog

Warhog

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply just changed the oil 2 weeks ago. It is now sitting in the service department. Hopefully she will be back soon. The valve covers wouldn’t effect performance though right?

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Contrary to what you just read the issue is not as common as they informed you. It is most likely a seal on the turbo. And no it would not be the valve covers. The valve covers would not cause a turbo seal failure. Turbo seal failures happen on all makes and models. Take whatever you read from this guy with a grain of salt. I do recommend you checking your oil level since you may be burning a little.

SL75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The smoke out the exhaust is a common issue that has been reported many times. The solution from Ford was revised valve covers.
Ford also released a bulletin about all of the 3.5 ecoboost for heavy oil consumption. Their solution for that was also new valve covers.

David Godbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, being an old motor head from way back, I keep seeing this white smoke problem and the cure according to Ford is new valve covers. Please explain to me what a valve cover has to do with smoke coming from the exhaust. I have never known a valve cover having anything to do except provide access to the top of the heads for adjustments and prevent oil from getting all over the engine during operation. Do they have another job now? I think some other smoke is being put out here and I can’t believe it’s coming from Ford. Anyone got the real explanation?

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
OK, being an old motor head from way back...Anyone got the real explanation?

I’m also an old gearhead and yes, the valve covers have a significant role because they contain the oil separator chambers for the PCV inlet. When the oil is allowed into the intake manifold via the PCV line, it burns it through both sides. Most aftermarket boosted applications run a catch can on the PCV to prevent crankcase pressure on boost and intake vacuum from forcing oil into the intake.

A turbo seal problem will result in only the failed side smoking.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I’m also an old gearhead and yes, the valve covers have a significant role because they contain the oil separator chambers for the PCV inlet. When the oil is allowed into the intake manifold via the PCV line, it burns it through both sides. Most aftermarket boosted applications run a catch can on the PCV to prevent crankcase pressure on boost and intake vacuum from forcing oil into the intake.

A turbo seal problem will result in only the failed side smoking.

I get your explanation here but how can you determine which side it is coming out of when the exhaust pipes are equalized after the downpipes. There is no way to determine which side would be smoking. With the original poster stating that it was significant smoke this would lean more towards the turbo(s) having a seal failure. I have had this happen on my race cars a few times. Goes from a little puff to a massive white cloud pouring our the back. Never were the valve covers an issue. There was a video on here last year sometime that someone had recorded their Raptor having smoke pouring out the back. If I remember correctly he also had a turbo seal failure. Story there , it started as a small puff then went into a full fogger mode until they shut the truck off.

The issue of the valve covers you are referring to have other effects as well, such as allowing fuel to penetrate in the lubrication system causing a thinning of the fluids which will eventually lead to failures in the future. For that I would be willing to put money on the issue he is having is related to a turbo seal failure and not a valve cover. They may change the valve covers as Ford requires as part of the service procedure but it will not fix the issue.

Bhollier

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The smoke out the exhaust is a common issue that has been reported many times. The solution from Ford was revised valve covers.
Ford also released a bulletin about all of the 3.5 ecoboost for heavy oil consumption. Their solution for that was also new valve covers.

What you are referring to is why a lot of us run a catch can set up. Keep the issue from happening. Even with replacing the valve covers the issue will come back at a later date. Did you also have this issue on your Raptor?

I also wouldn't call a quart every 5,000 miles heavy oil consumption for a turbo. I have seen several turbo vehicles use this same amount, very common actually. Some of the seals used in turbo applications don't seal off properly until at operating temp. The are designed to account for thermal expansion.