$109,145 Starting Price

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They are limited in their ability to produce the engine for these, in addition to every other supply constraint. I think we make a lot of these, but I don't think there is much chance they will saturate the market.

That's very unlikely. Even if Ford could make as many of these as they wanted, it would be foolish of them to make it easily available at a discount. Honestly, Ford and many other brands are not likely to fill up auto lots with discounted vehicles any time soon. It's not a good business model. Dealers don't want to pay interest on vehicles sitting on lots, and Ford doesn't want to give out rebates to clear out last years inventory. And theoretically, vehicles that never sell new below MSRP should hold their resale better....so it's good for customers? As long as Ford can convince people to commit to buying vehicles sight unseen, and waiting a couple months for delivery, they will keep doing it. You might see ADM reduce or go away, but don't expect discounts like that.

This is pre COVID days, yes. Hard to say history will repeat itself when Ford said that it's not going back to that business model.

Used values may go down, but Ford likely will keep new car supply low to maintain car values. If people don't want to pay them, that will increase demand in the used car market...which will help keep used car values relatively high.

I think the flaw in this new market where manufacturers keep supply low is that those who don't have to buy a new vehicle, or even a used vehicle, just won't do it. People will keep their vehicles longer and wait it out. No more impulse buying, and fewer people just turning over a vehicle every year or two.

I don't think Ford is looking to attract the value buyer with the Raptor R.
I pretty much agree with everything you said. And the new model of customers ordering the vehicle they want to purchase does allow Ford to control the whole model better. This is the way they want there EV business to be. I’m just not sure they are ready to do this with the ice lineup yet. One of the main reasons I would think they wouldn’t, would be the ability of manufacturers to pad there quarterly and yearly sales/production numbers. If you can over produce 100-200k F-150’s for example and stuff them on dealers lots. You can add these to your production numbers and show this to your shareholders. While in the end Ford and dealers may have to sell them for less, by year end. It still helps the numbers. I imagine Ford could pack vehicles to a certain extent in fields and stadiums again, and have production numbers to document. But it won’t be as easy.

Gen2Boost

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It says order banks are open..

Where?! Anyone?
I had been waiting for the R to trade in my 2019 Gen 2. Was on the list with my dealership and was told in advance of the $109k price tag plus the admin fee. Release day came. I received my paperwork the following day. Numbers were just like they told me except oh a $31k markup. Gtfoh. Dealer called me within minutes as I’m sure he expected that reaction. Let him know he can go pound sand. That’s bananas.

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how long they can hold the line. When a competitor breaks rank, the rest tend to follow. It might be two years, or five, but eventually I think that smart buyers will have another shot at good deals. The one good thing about the model is being able to order exactly what you want - assuming that it's offered. The forced bundling of options should go away since it makes the person ordering feel like they're being taken advantage of. It's different when you're salivating over a vehicle that has a couple of options that you don't really want. Hopefully Ford will wake up to this difference.
Well, Ford has held the line for over a year, intentionally or not. It's been widely known you can order a TRX for 10k under MSRP during the same period. Can't even sniff a poverty ecoboost Raptor for under MSRP. Then they go and spike the football with the R pricing.

Seems crazy, but I'm sure they did their homework.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What people an afford vs what is a financially responsible purchase are very often not the same....I think the R is realistically priced, I think the ADM is pissing away money and I will not do that.

I was looking for a C8 late last fall, that's a lot of car for under 100k...if you could get an allocation or you wanted to go used it was over a 100k...and I had the R in the back of my head for a replacement of my Gen2...kids college is paid for....what am I working for...the stress is going to kill me....why am I working....do I have to work?...wait a second...**** the toys...wait out the last stock award...let your boss tell you something stupid from corporate, snap and tell him they are all idiots and we need to transition my position to someone else...I am retiring....and by this summer I was out...I am much happier not working and slumming in my Gen 2. I realized toys were a pathertic pacifier for the stress I had to deal with day in and out.

I think the R is awesome and would love to have one, a year ago it was affordable but now it's not financially responsible for me.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everything you said. And the new model of customers ordering the vehicle they want to purchase does allow Ford to control the whole model better. This is the way they want there EV business to be. I’m just not sure they are ready to do this with the ice lineup yet. One of the main reasons I would think they wouldn’t, would be the ability of manufacturers to pad there quarterly and yearly sales/production numbers. If you can over produce 100-200k F-150’s for example and stuff them on dealers lots. You can add these to your production numbers and show this to your shareholders. While in the end Ford and dealers may have to sell them for less, by year end. It still helps the numbers. I imagine Ford could pack vehicles to a certain extent in fields and stadiums again, and have production numbers to document. But it won’t be as easy.

True, it depends on which numbers investors are looking at more closely. I imagine Ford does not want to have F150 break it's record of most sales X number of years running. However, right now at least, there is enough interest in all the various F150s and the huge reservation waitlist for Lightning.

I think overall, this model is underestimating just how stupid and impulsive the average car buyer is. Buyer's go into the dealership with a budget in mind, and easily get dazzled by whatever a salesman shows them at a higher price...because it's a great deal. They buy extended warranties they don't need. They have no idea how their going to finance it and certainly haven't thought about what's going to do to their personal finance plans...if they have one. This is exactly why dealerships don't want you to leave until you buy....it gives you a chance to come to your senses. And all that goes away when there are no new cars on the lot...but maybe they buy used instead.

I think that's ultimately what's going to look like a few years from now. People are just going to keep their vehicles longer and replace with other used vehicles. Ford and others won't make enough profit off BEV and government will be asked to bail them out. Liberals will shame everyone else for not accepting their new normal and the disaster of climate change that still promised, but not shown up yet.

Winchester30

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Upon hearing the news of the six-figure R,
I have come to realize that my sweet Gen 2 may very well be the last gas truck I ever own. I need a daily driver, not a show truck.
SD diesel or wait for battery tech to improve.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Upon hearing the news of the six-figure R,
I have come to realize that my sweet Gen 2 may very well be the last gas truck I ever own. I need a daily driver, not a show truck.
SD diesel or wait for battery tech to improve.
They've gone mad a decently equipped lariat 4x4 screw is over 60k delivered