1000lbs over max payload - paranoid or cause for concern?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
Posted this in the issues forum, but didn’t get a lot of traction so figured I’d post again over here:

So...long story short...I ended up driving around 30 miles this morning with ~2,300lbs of salt bags in the bed of my truck not realizing that I was a WHOPPING 1,000 lbs over my max payload capacity. Not smart (I know); ended up getting asked to help out in a donation effort for the folks effected by Dorian in the Bahamas and signed my truck up for too big of an undertaking...in hindsight.

Only have ~1100 miles on the truck, but now I'm concerned that I might have done some damage to the truck. Shock's aren't leaking, but I can't seem to get the mental image of how low my tailgate was sagged relative to "normalcy" (ie did I damage my leaf springs / did they not fully recoil).

Am I simply being paranoid here or is there serious cause for concern?

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the issues forum, but didn’t get a lot of traction so figured I’d post again over here:

So...long story short...I ended up driving around 30 miles this morning with ~2,300lbs of salt bags in the bed of my truck not realizing that I was a WHOPPING 1,000 lbs over my max payload capacity. Not smart (I know); ended up getting asked to help out in a donation effort for the folks effected by Dorian in the Bahamas and signed my truck up for too big of an undertaking...in hindsight.

Only have ~1100 miles on the truck, but now I'm concerned that I might have done some damage to the truck. Shock's aren't leaking, but I can't seem to get the mental image of how low my tailgate was sagged relative to "normalcy" (ie did I damage my leaf springs / did they not fully recoil).

You likely know this already, but I’ll say it just in case.

How fast did you drive, did you air up your tires to say 50psi, did you hit any bumps or whoops that bottomed your truck suspension? If you drove slowly, didn’t hit any bumps or whoops hard, there likely wasn’t any damage.

Severe overloading can affect: shocks, springs, mounts, axles, rear ends, brakes, lug nuts, more. Once again, driving slow, not hitting bumps that bottomed you out and your truck is likely fine.

The bigger deal was the safety part. The steering was likely light, and the rear of the truck might have felt like it was going to spin out around curves if you drove a bit fast with the load, you could have blown a tire. Your act of kindness could have resulted in an accident that your insurance company could decline to cover.

Consider taking two trips or renting a trailer next time.

Happy to hear that you made it through without mishap.

OP
OP
NovagatorCFA

NovagatorCFA

Reaction score
The weird thing is...the car actually drove fine. I didn’t notice any major differences with the handling surprisingly and the tire PSI ranged from 46-48. No bumps just flat road driving, but did probably drive up to 55 mph. There was still plenty of clearance in the back, but the big thing was just the mental anguish while looking in the rear view on the road and seeing how low the tailgate was sagging. I’m just concerned the springs might not have coiled back fully.

wheelman55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The weird thing is...the car actually drove fine. I didn’t notice any major differences with the handling surprisingly and the tire PSI ranged from 46-48. No bumps just flat road driving, but did probably drive up to 55 mph. There was still plenty of clearance in the back, but the big thing was just the mental anguish while looking in the rear view on the road and seeing how low the tailgate was sagging. I’m just concerned the springs might not have coiled back fully.
Don’t worry about the springs. They are replaceable. Measure your truck against several at a dealership. That’ll let you see if your springs are sagged. Also measure on a dead flat surface.

Last edited:

Richard Hinsley

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Being paranoid. People have been overloading f 150s for decades

MEATSWORD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally cant see how they would be damaged ,the bump stops keep the spring from going past the point of no return.

But being stretched out for a long period of time I could see losing some spring rate.

Leaf springs are pretty resilient

pbtjrlmrt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Liar...you got a lot of really good feedback previously.

My post "The Raptor payload is lower than a "normal" F150 because of the way the suspension is set up. The manufacturer determines the safe operating limits based on testing methodologies...handling, stopping, control, etc, etc are all factors that go into determining the final weight. Our trucks are set up for off road driving, turning bumps into butter and the trade off is reduced payload. A "normal" F150 carries more and also has a much harsher ride off road. I don't think you did any damage but you did risk other people on the road by having a truck over loaded and difficult to stop/maneuver in an emergency. You traded a charitable good deed for people in the Bahamas for risking the lives of people in America as you unsafely transported your load. But you truck is fine"

SD64

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I would guess it’s just paranoia but remember for the future you can actually “overload” a raptor by just hauling around 4 fat friends and a cooler of beer! The max payload includes people, gear, the gas in the tank, and what’s in the glove box not just what’s in the bed! There should be a sticker in your door sill that warns about payload including people not exceeding just over 1,000 lbs.