10 speed 3rd to 4th/5th shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Another thing I've noticed is that intermittently, I'll start the truck and the gear selection doesn't show up on the dash on the left side. I have to manually press the gear selector button on the shifter to get it to show.

This is normal. Flipping the (+) paddle in Automatic mode will cause the 1-10 to display or hide. (-) will create a lockout that prevents the transmission from using higher gears.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an update. Took my truck in yesterday for the roll pin and seatbelt recall, and asked them to check on the hard shift out of 3rd. Dealer called right now stating that the transmission fluid has a lot of a metal in it, too much for the mileage being around 7500. Corporate has authorized the transmission to be dropped for further analysis. They will touch base with me tomorrow.

Rapterzz

Reaction score
Just an update. Took my truck in yesterday for the roll pin and seatbelt recall, and asked them to check on the hard shift out of 3rd. Dealer called right now stating that the transmission fluid has a lot of a metal in it, too much for the mileage being around 7500. Corporate has authorized the transmission to be dropped for further analysis. They will touch base with me tomorrow.

Best of luck please keep us posted.

smgilles

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am starting to sense a trend with leaking transmissions in those trucks affected by the 'Roll Pin Recall'. I wonder if our transmissions are turds coming off the line?

Before the leak I too would have the hard 3rd gear shift, restart truck x 2 for getting "stuck" in 7th gear after pushing speeds ~90+ mph, etc.

A loaner does not matter as far as Lemon Law is considered. Just needs to be 30 total business days without truck and multiple attempts to fix. I am on attempt #3 now and on the 4th week without the truck.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the almost identical issue. See my post on Raptor issues in this forum.

Essentially I had the roll pin recall completed and took truck home (400 miles) for X-mas. Truck started “bucking” and shifting from 10th to 5th to 7th, etc. I stopped immediately and could see transmission fluid pouring on the interstate.

I limped to nearest dealership who gave me a loaner. They replaced transmission pan gasket again along with seal between transmission and transfer case. I picked the truck up 5 days later and drove about 70 miles before exact thing happened with transmission fluid pouring all over the interstate.

Truck had to be towed to home dealership who did original roll pin recall. They state there is a crack in the transmission case vs fabricated bolts that hold transfer case to transmission, essentially it needs an entire new transmission case. This case does not exist as transmissions are too new for parts.

My dealership is requesting a new transmission and expedited off Ford’s assembly line. I am at week 4 without the truck. They thought at the earliest I could have it back by the end of the week assuming Ford allocates transmission.

If I don’t get it back by next week or Ford says no on allocation I will move forward with Lemon Law since >4 weeks without an appropriate fix. I paid cash for this truck and am willing to eat a few bucks out of spite. I have exactly 10,000 miles on the odometer.

The dealership has been top notch and have me in 2018 Plantinum F150.

Keeps us posted on your truck.

All they did on mine was re-upload the transmission program and it runs like a champ now. It actually runs better then before the transmission issue, lol. I feel like I have more power accelerating, which is a very good thing. This is really the only issue I've had with the truck in over a year and it's all good now.

allenfrx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1) I am suprised this is happening on a Tran that had internal dev in house by Ford.....but
2) I am not suprised at all that this is happening on a 1st yr run.

I guess that makes me frustratingly infuruated and conflicted that ford has not learned from past mistakes as this has in fact happened before.

WTF Ford, can't you learn from previous mistakes?

It has happened on other models 1st yr runs, it will no doubt happen on others in the future. (SEE MT82 transmission problems introduced in 2011).

When i was in your shoes mine just flat out would not shift worth a dam below 40 degress F unless you warned it up for like 40 minutes first.

Ford did not have an immediate fix. Many others were having the same issues and they were quietly making production changes on models being built while installing ORIGINAL SPEC parts on customers with problems....recreating the same problems.

I liked it so much i seriously considered keeping it as a summer only car as it shifted beautifully when warm.

Ultimately, that seemed silly. I dumped a 6 month old car at well over a $10,000 loss.

Ouch......

Forever solidifying my adage of "never buy first....or second yr.....always go third".

^^^At least w Ford, Chevy Dodge.

I honestly think you might get away with a late 2nd yr model for Honda/Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
1) I am suprised this is happening on a Tran that had internal dev in house by Ford.....but
2) I am not suprised at all that this is happening on a 1st yr run.

I guess that makes me frustratingly infuruated and conflicted that ford has not learned from past mistakes as this has in fact happened before.

WTF Ford, can't you learn from previous mistakes?

It has happened on other models 1st yr runs, it will no doubt happen on others in the future. (SEE MT82 transmission problems introduced in 2011).

When i was in your shoes mine just flat out would not shift worth a dam below 40 degress F unless you warned it up for like 40 minutes first.

Ford did not have an immediate fix. Many others were having the same issues and they were quietly making production changes on models being built while installing ORIGINAL SPEC parts on customers with problems....recreating the same problems.

I liked it so much i seriously considered keeping it as a summer only car as it shifted beautifully when warm.

Ultimately, that seemed silly. I dumped a 6 month old car at well over a $10,000 loss.

Ouch......

Forever solidifying my adage of "never buy first....or second yr.....always go third".

^^^At least w Ford, Chevy Dodge.

I honestly think you might get away with a late 2nd yr model for Honda/Toyota.
Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Of the probably hundreds of ’17-’18 owners, how many have reported a trans problem? 2 dozen? 3 dozen? Not saying these problems aren’t legit, just trying to keep some perspective here.

mr_beaverhousen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I'm not technically savvy on any of these terms and beyond my knowledge base. The service tech was telling me over the phone while I was driving that the 3-2 hard shift was caused by the one-way clutch being completely burnt out. Corporate authorized for a transmission overhaul, not a replacement as the metal found in the fluid was not big chunks.

Parts are four days out. Just hoping I get my truck back by next weekend as I'm heading up to Tahoe.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Update: I'm not technically savvy on any of these terms and beyond my knowledge base. The service tech was telling me over the phone while I was driving that the 3-2 hard shift was caused by the one-way clutch being completely burnt out. Corporate authorized for a transmission overhaul, not a replacement as the metal found in the fluid was not big chunks.

Parts are four days out. Just hoping I get my truck back by next weekend as I'm heading up to Tahoe.

sounds plausible. The analysis, not the turnaround time. Based on Ford’s performance so far, don’t count on having parts in time.

That said, once they do have the parts, it’s not as big a repair as most people think. The hard parts of the trans aren’t that complex. In my youth, a friend of a friend was a transmission tech. I watched him completely rebuild a TH400 GM trans in under 45 minutes.