10 speed 3rd to 4th/5th shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stinson

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a 17 Raptor with 10K miles. It was built in June of 2017. I've noticed or begun to focus on the shift out of 3rd gear. The transmission is buttery smooth on every shift except coming out of 3rd gear. It either takes a long time to make the shift or shifts a little rough.

Thinking about running it by the dealer to see if there is any shift strategy updates, but every time I take vehicle to a dealer they find a way to damage or ding up my stuff.....

I did try the doing the re-learn deal but no change. Does anyone else have something similar going on?

Thanks

BurnOut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I *first* picked up my truck, I experienced something like that... once. I was literally about 3 miles from the stealership driving back from picking it up and it kinda slammed into 5th from 3rd under gentle acceleration. I haven't seen it since.

Let us know what you find out, though...

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've got a 17 Raptor with 10K miles. It was built in June of 2017. I've noticed or begun to focus on the shift out of 3rd gear. The transmission is buttery smooth on every shift except coming out of 3rd gear. It either takes a long time to make the shift or shifts a little rough.

Thinking about running it by the dealer to see if there is any shift strategy updates, but every time I take vehicle to a dealer they find a way to damage or ding up my stuff.....

I did try the doing the re-learn deal but no change. Does anyone else have something similar going on?

Thanks

There is finally somebody here on the forum that shares my opinion on how the transmission shifts. I posted numerous complaints/concerns about this a while ago and what you describe doesn't seem to bother anybody else. I can definitely feel a difference in how the truck shifts when it skips gears. Unless you are getting on it, it will skip from 1st to 3rd by design and then skip from 3rd to 5th by design, but as you mention, those shifts take longer and are not as smooth as the other shifts. I purchased an MPT tune to try and resolve that issue because their tune does not skip gears, but I am not completely satisfied with how their tune works because it holds, in my opinion, higher RPMs than necessary before upshifting. The last time I checked with the dealer they have not released any updates to the shift logic, but if you find out something different, definitely let me know. I am at the point where this is one of the last two things going on with the truck that keeps me from being completely satisfied. The other issue is where the truck feels like it is missing on occasion. I drove another Raptor and it did the same thing, so it may just be another quirk.

Last edited:

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having big transmissions issues myself. Took the truck in for the transmission pin recall earlier this week and they found a transmission leak. Apperantly the plastic plug had a crack so fluid leaked out. Got that fixed yesterday....

Today I started my trip from SC to KS for the holidays and I’m 3 hours down the road and my transmision starts to shift down when I accelerate...In gear 10 going 75 MPH. Accelerate to pass a car and the transmission drops to gear 5 and RPMs shoot up then it slowly gets back to gear 10. Truck is bucking. Happened 4 times in 5 minutes.

Now I’m at some dealership in Georgia stranded while the diagnose the truck. This really sucks!!

Has anyone had issues like this??

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having big transmissions issues myself. Took the truck in for the transmission pin recall earlier this week and they found a transmission leak. Apperantly the plastic plug had a crack so fluid leaked out. Got that fixed yesterday....

Today I started my trip from SC to KS for the holidays and I’m 3 hours down the road and my transmision starts to shift down when I accelerate...In gear 10 going 75 MPH. Accelerate to pass a car and the transmission drops to gear 5 and RPMs shoot up then it slowly gets back to gear 10. Truck is bucking. Happened 4 times in 5 minutes.

Now I’m at some dealership in Georgia stranded while the diagnose the truck. This really sucks!!

Has anyone had issues like this??

My truck has had the bucking issue. I had it a while back and it has returned. Ford said it was a cracked plug the first time and replaced a spark plug, but I think they were just guessing. Not sure what is going on now. It doesn't happen every time I hit the gas, but I pretty much feel some sort of miss every time I go somewhere. Under mild acceleration getting on the highway yesterday, I experienced something more severe that I would call "bucking". I let off the gas and accelerated as slowly as I could and the "bucking" stopped after approximately ten seconds.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has had the bucking issue. I had it a while back and it has returned. Ford said it was a cracked plug the first time and replaced a spark plug, but I think they were just guessing. Not sure what is going on now. It doesn't happen every time I hit the gas, but I pretty much feel some sort of miss every time I go somewhere. Under mild acceleration getting on the highway yesterday, I experienced something more severe that I would call "bucking". I let off the gas and accelerated as slowly as I could and the "bucking" stopped after approximately ten seconds.

The gear drop when I accelerate really has my worried. It doesn’t downshift, it just goes from 10 to 5.

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does this happen in both sport and normal modes? I've noticed some less than buttery smooth shifting in sport mode and partial throttle but normal mode seems... well... Normal.

Corey77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only had it in normal mode when it happened and it freaked me out on interstate. Didn’t want to mess with it so it’s at the dealership. They redid the transmission program and now they are test driving it. Hoping for the best!

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Ok, just talked to dealership service department. They said what I experience was normal for that truck. Complete ********. I’ve had that truck for year now and have never experienced this before. They said the truck downshifts during acceleration to save gas. That makes no sense at all.

Panduh

Reaction score
8k miles on my 18

I was driving on 65n on my way to Ohio from TN a few weeks ago and went to pass a truck. Mushed the gas down and the truck basically lost power for a brief second and then with a thud picks back up and powers through the pass. I believe this was in normal mode, could have been sport. I don't know.

This has happened 4 times in the 8k miles to my knowledge. Im afraid to attempt to replicate the issue in fear of blowing up the transmission...

I have an appointment to have it looked at in Jan, but I also fear I'm wasting my time having them look at it. Its almost like I need to drive the **** out of it and see if it breaks, then they don't have to fumble around inside the guts of the truck for a week to tell me nothing is wrong.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only had it in normal mode when it happened and it freaked me out on interstate. Didn’t want to mess with it so it’s at the dealership. They redid the transmission program and now they are test driving it. Hoping for the best!

---------- Post added at 02:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Ok, just talked to dealership service department. They said what I experience was normal for that truck. Complete ********. I’ve had that truck for year now and have never experienced this before. They said the truck downshifts during acceleration to save gas. That makes no sense at all.

Uness you are absolutely flooring it, the truck should not downshift from 10th to 5th; that is not normal. Dropping two gears under moderate acceleration is normal.