1 10w3 sub or 2 8's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
already have ordered my speakers for the doors and trying to decide what im going to do for sub bass. listen to rock, some old school hip hop, electronica, blues and probably to much AM talk radio when im alone in the car. i have a pair of 10w6's in my DD but not enough space in the raptor;

what will hit somewhat low , fast and tight . 1 10w3 or are 2 8 jlw3's a better solution. the 10w3 would be in a jl strealthbox. had a jl stealthbox 10w3 in my vette and just didnt compare to my DD with the 2 10's. the 2 8's would have a custom box

OP
OP
neveo

neveo

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what's the rms power handling of each sub?

the jl 10w3 is rated for 500 watts and the jl 8w3 are rated for 250 watts....

birdman, another question whats the best battery i can find for the raptor that has amps, offroad lights and a winch?

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
the jl 10w3 is rated for 500 watts and the jl 8w3 are rated for 250 watts....

birdman, another question whats the best battery i can find for the raptor that has amps, offroad lights and a winch?

Optima Yellow Tops have always been a top choice...

as for the subs...i don't think anyone can tell you for sure without hearing them side by side. basically you're gonna get probably a harder kick and better lows with the 10, with the 8's you're gonna get still a hard kick, maybe punchier audible bass and a crisp sound. for rap/techno 8's...for rock 10"

cheek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
get a probox with dual 8's with 800 watt rms get mine next wednesday!!! oh cant wait

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I can tell you go with the single 10". My old roommate had some 8" JLs in his truck and they sounded more like a 6x9 than a sub IMO. I had a single 10 in my first truck and it did great in that small of a space. It was very crisp and sharp but not punchy like an 8.

As for batteries get a Yellow top!!!!!!!!!!!! Had one in my 4runner powering my memphis 1500w amp and powering 2 JL W7 12's. Little over board at the time but one hell of a ride! No one ever thought this jacked up offroad 4runner had that BS in it. Beside had an Alpine head unit and I put in Infinity comps in every door. It was way to Loud for that small of a space. Anyways if I could find a way to get one of thos 12s in the truck I would put it in.

cheek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as far as 8's sounding 6x9's thats a joke!! the probox with dual 8's with DVC running 1209watts from a Memphis amp will run u out of the truck!! Super loud lots of bass way more than 1 10. youve got 16in of cone vs only 10.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you want to hit the low, low notes, you're going to want more diameter (10" subs). If you want quick, punch bass, you can't go wrong with 8's or 10's. Personally, I'd never run 8's in my truck. I used to have 2 10s in my truck now, but I wanted it louder and lower and switched over to 2 12s. It got louder and picked up the lower notes.

My vote is for 1 quality 10" with a badass amp.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
as far as 8's sounding 6x9's thats a joke!! the probox with dual 8's with DVC running 1209watts from a Memphis amp will run u out of the truck!! Super loud lots of bass way more than 1 10. youve got 16in of cone vs only 10.

As far as a joke goes learn some damn math!!! two 8s dont equal a 16 in surface area! two 8s equal 402 square inch while a single 10 equals 314 square inch.

314 vs 402 is not double and for a 16" cone it would be 804.

Been around both and I can tell you go with the 10! Lower bass Hz and can save some space.