Raptor Air Oil Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

69Mach1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm starting to think that's the case. Now that I actually pulled the hoses off.

From what I've read, they only reasons they didn't just toss a breather cap on the suction side is: 1) emissions - at rest it could vent the crankcase to air 2) it would allow a small amount of unmetered air into the system via the line going behind the TB.

I tried running dual breathers on the GT with the Whipple fora cleaner look and had some blow by through them.. it was a mess, so I ended up tossing the hoses back on with a JLT catchcan and it's been fine.

EdgeR6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I told JLT today that a lot of people are waiting on him, I think he is waiting on just a little more data.

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Basically, one side (passenger side) will work fine for 90% of Raptors. Having both sides is for boosted or long duration wide open throttle.. Where there is little or no engine vacuum to keep piston rings seated..

-Greg (aka squatting dog)

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Basically, one side (passenger side) will work fine for 90% of Raptors. Having both sides is for boosted or long duration wide open throttle.. Where there is little or no engine vacuum to keep piston rings seated..

So you are saying SC Raptor needs Two?

Then maybe I could get away with one can and tie both hoses to it and just plug the port up in front of the TB.
I'm still waiting on an answer from Whipple.

Last edited:

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I told JLT today that a lot of people are waiting on him, I think he is waiting on just a little more data.

JLT used to pass off air compressor water separators as oil separators back in my Harley truck days (Supercharged 5.4). They worked great at first and then stopped working. So hopefully JLT has advanced since then.

Anyhow, I only installed an oil separator (NHTOC vender) on one side and it did pretty good. I put a 100k on the truck before selling it and didn't see much oil on the TB. I never pulled the blower to check the IC but the truck ran strong right up to the day I sold it.

I'm debating on whether or not to install one(two) on the Raptor.

I will say that for those who have never dealt with an oil separator, their pretty simple to maintain. It generally took me a couple minutes to empty my catch can including popping the hood.

weimer

FRF Addict
Reaction score
He is planning on becoming a member here, mainly to answer questions. He has some good info on his sight regarding catch cans/oil seperators if you want to take a look.

Tucker

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to join and help answer some questions and concerns.
First I'd like to thank you all for the support and emails pushing me to get this done. Also thanks to Weimer for taking the time to help test the product.

So after my last post I went to my Whippled Raptor to take a quick look and I pulled the vacuum hoses off to see something.

Now, I have the one hose coming from the passenger side going into the Whipple compressor behind the throttle body
and the one coming from the drivers side is going into the throat of the compressor before the TB.
There is a noticeable difference in suction from these two locations.

Now I wonder if the one in front of the throttle body is acting like a breather cap?

I think I'm going to have to do some more research as the flow of these to valve cover ports and what they are supposed to do.

I will send an email to Whipple and see what answer they have as to the function of these two ports in my case.

Maybe if someone could check a stock engine and see if they come up with the same situation.

It could be, we need only the one? Just guessing now.

I do know that after 12 months with the Whipple on, my TB blades are clean! So I don't know what to think.

We have passenger and driver side separators kits for many vehicles and in all our testing the side with the PCV valve gets 90+% of the oil and for 99% of the driving styles 1 separator is fine. Like you said in another post, your TB blades were spotless, so your not getting oil on the driver side.

Someone mentioned it, but yes under certian driving conditions you can get oil on the non PCV side. While on the road course in my GT, going from 7500 rpm to throttle off causes a draw and will suck oil into the TB or separator. Most don't drive like this on the street ;)
As miles and wear increase this can happen more, but I haven't seen it yet.
We sell a ton to the GT500 and GT world with info on the site explaining you may never see oil in it, but some still want it.

Also your S/C, so that throws more out the window. Our plug and play kit most likely won't work as now your lines are different. For this we have a base kit and optional brackets.

JLT used to pass off air compressor water separators as oil separators back in my Harley truck days (Supercharged 5.4). They worked great at first and then stopped working. So hopefully JLT has advanced since then.

Anyhow, I only installed an oil separator (NHTOC vender) on one side and it did pretty good. I put a 100k on the truck before selling it and didn't see much oil on the TB. I never pulled the blower to check the IC but the truck ran strong right up to the day I sold it.

I'm debating on whether or not to install one(two) on the Raptor.

I will say that for those who have never dealt with an oil separator, their pretty simple to maintain. It generally took me a couple minutes to empty my catch can including popping the hood.
I think you may be confusing us with Steeda or someone else. We never sold compressor separators, never.
We refused to even put one on our car so we invented the pre filter for the Cobras (small inline filter, won't work on this set up)

We designed the current and only separator we ever sold/made 2-3 years ago and it's the design you see here.

I see many wanting a bracket mount, well we want a OEM look with easy on off. Having the bracket set up requires the use of rubber hose and to me, that just looks tacky. Plus you must get oil rated hose, it's not hard to get, but most don't use it and have hose failure.
We shoot for the factory look.
As far as draining it, because we use the factory clip on lines the entire unit is removed in seconds. You can remove just the can, but it's just as easy to get the whole thing out.
The separator is very light, yes milled from billet, but it only weighs 3 ounces. By using factory Ford PCV lines it is very stiff and doesn't move around much at all. To insure the can not damage anything we use a rubber cup that's attached to the bottom of the car.

401_10151425000427155_516579357_n.jpg

530515_10151425000432155_175696427_n.jpg

The hoses and fittings are very strong and I have no worries about bouncing or breaking anything.
No, the normal GT500 owner doesn't drive as hard as a Raptor owner, but we have guys doing this:
599061_10151416824062155_1717127014_n.jpg

Anyway, I hope it's ok I posted here and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
We are getting Weimers truck back today for a report on collection, get more pictures and do the instructions.

Thanks for the support
Jay

Squatting Dog

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you Jay! I have let Roush know about this also Jay Velthoven is interested in this set up for their trucks.

You would be surprise most Raptor owners (in offroad mode) see the upper RPM range a lot...