Oil Separator Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Running Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my '19 and change Oil & Filter (Motorcraft) every 5,000 miles (currently @ over 60k). This is just my preference and not looking for any debate.
Did the same routine on my first Ecoboost ('13 SCrew 4x4) which now has over 150k with no issues.
I also have a Catch Can that I dump at each oil change. Get about 1.5 to 2 oz. each change and absolutely no sludge in the can, only clean Oil. Live in Florida where it seldom get below 30 degrees.
Just a little FYI, both Mobil1 Extended Performance and Ford Racing oil filter is superior then the standard Motorcraft one.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Can you imagine all that oil/sludge going through the intake system (which includes the turbo inlet under boost conditions)

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Excellent post.

There has always been a little thick amount at the bottom in varying amounts since day 1, no matter when I empty it, even if it's less than 1/2 full. Here in Southern Oregon there is 4 distinct seasons, so we have a wet winter with high humidity. And yes, this truck does do lots of short trips, so the catch can does indicate that.
Thats because the oxidative/evaporitive volatility is super high in group 1&2 oils that it will fill up your catch can pretty readily. If you switch to group 3 or better you will experience a lot less. If it were an NA engine id say fine but you are rolling the dice with such a low quality oil. Lest we forget that minimum spec is the synthetic blend via the manual.

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats because the oxidative/evaporitive volatility is super high in group 1&2 oils that it will fill up your catch can pretty readily. If you switch to group 3 or better you will experience a lot less. If it were an NA engine id say fine but you are rolling the dice with such a low quality oil. Lest we forget that minimum spec is the synthetic blend via the manual.
Not a low quality oil in my opinion. Vavoline has been around probably longer than you've been alive. And the owners manual and Raptor supplement do not list synthetic blend in either book.

myersroofer614

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is milky, I'm in Detroit, so it's humid. 1st check after hauling 300 miles

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_151358620.jpg
    IMG_20240221_151358620.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member