Oil Separator Catch Can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oil is fine. I'm not a synthetic person. Been using conventional since the '60's with no issues. But it is getting harder to source the last couple of years since the current government has declared war on the oil industry.

For the benefit of others, not me, what do you consider "a good synthetic"?
Do you still watch movies on VHS too?

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The oil is fine. I'm not a synthetic person. Been using conventional since the '60's with no issues. But it is getting harder to source the last couple of years since the current government has declared war on the oil industry.

For the benefit of others, not me, what do you consider "a good synthetic"?
I use the 5W-30 weight, switched about 6 years ago from 5W-20
It helped with gaining .5 mpg and reduced the 10 to 15 second valve tapping on startup.
I have the large catch can from Moroso, I do not collect anything during summer months and just few ounces after the winter months.
IMG_20131014_104423_998.jpg

I also change every 5K miles or less if I see the oil getting dirty.

Mobil 1.jpg

Last edited:

COBRA90GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just a good reminder to check the catch can at regular intervals.

You'd think the sky is falling after reading some of the replies in here, SMH. Paging chicken little...LOL

panic-the-sky-is-falling.gif

OP - It really doesn't appear too horrible; a little bit of "peanut butter" at the bottom of a catch can isn't out of the norm for cooler/colder temps for those of us living/driving in Northern locations, (even more so if you make frequent short trips).

I've ran some form of a catch can in different vehicles I've owned for over 22 years and they pretty much all do that (again, cooler/colder climate location - more noticeable during short commute/trips).

OP
OP
Gary E

Gary E

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, just a good reminder to check the catch can at regular intervals.

You'd think the sky is falling after reading some of the replies in here, SMH. Paging chicken little...LOL

View attachment 428708

OP - It really doesn't appear too horrible; a little bit of "peanut butter" at the bottom of a catch can isn't out of the norm for cooler/colder temps for those of us living/driving in Northern locations, (even more so if you make frequent short trips).

I've ran some form of a catch can in different vehicles I've owned for over 22 years and they pretty much all do that (again, cooler/colder climate location - more noticeable during short commute/trips).
Excellent post.

There has always been a little thick amount at the bottom in varying amounts since day 1, no matter when I empty it, even if it's less than 1/2 full. Here in Southern Oregon there is 4 distinct seasons, so we have a wet winter with high humidity. And yes, this truck does do lots of short trips, so the catch can does indicate that.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Naw, I graduated up to DVD's. I don't jump on the latest fads, ie synthetic oil, woke lingo, Jew bashing, etc.
Come on now!! I assumed I was going to have a fellow Betamax fan here, it's the wave of the future.

I've been a Mobil 1 fan since it first came out in the mid 70's. The synthetic is REALLY good if you get low temps. Huge difference at startup when it's 10, the engine will spin likes it's 80.

Last edited:

Irregular F150

its terrain good sir!
Reaction score
I use the 5W-30 weight, switched about 6 years ago from 5W-20
It helped with gaining .5 mpg and reduced the 10 to 15 second valve tapping on startup.
I have the large catch can from Moroso, I do not collect anything during summer months and just few ounces after the winter months.
View attachment 428706

I also change every 5K miles or less if I see the oil getting dirty.

View attachment 428704

Come on now!! I assumed I was going to have a fellow Betamax fan here, it's the wave of the future.

I've been a Mobil 1 fan since it first came out in the mid 70's. The synthetic is REALLY good if you get low temps. Huge difference at startup when it's 10, the engine will spin likes it's 80.

Hmm maybe i should go with mobile 1. I just use the factory stuff every 3000/3500 miles. Mileage is getting up there so maybe ill try it out ..

aandrews109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running Mobil 1 Extended Performance in my '19 and change Oil & Filter (Motorcraft) every 5,000 miles (currently @ over 60k). This is just my preference and not looking for any debate.
Did the same routine on my first Ecoboost ('13 SCrew 4x4) which now has over 150k with no issues.
I also have a Catch Can that I dump at each oil change. Get about 1.5 to 2 oz. each change and absolutely no sludge in the can, only clean Oil. Live in Florida where it seldom get below 30 degrees.