you do the math

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike.s

Reaction score
Got mine for $500 over invoice. No haggling needed. You just have to find the right dealer. I called them up and closed the deal in 10 minutes.

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would he lie to me when he already gave me invoice pricing?

Regardless, No need to argue about something that either of us knows nothing anything about.

I will ask Randy and get back to you.

not saying he lied to you. i was wrong on the math earlier. sorry bout that. $48000 msrp would give $1440 holdback. if your msrp was a little over $53000 then $1600 would be right. heres another sitehttp://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/the-truth-about-dealer-holdback/

ejlmoney

Reaction score
IMO, I'd set the bar a little lower (like $1000 over invoice) and then work from there. This is especially true if you know for sure you want a 2013 Raptor.

My advice is to phone a number of dealers in your area. Tell them that you'd like to order a 2013 Raptor and ask if they are willing to price you at or near invoice. You can then play the dealers off of one another to get the best price.

IMO, I'd re-think the going directly to the salesmanager aspect. You run the risk of being THAT guy. Furthermore, it's my understanding that most salespoeple are compensated on a per vehicle basis; not necessarily the price it sells for. Therefore that salesperson is an advocate for getting a deal done (their paycheck depends on it) versus the salesmanager that might look at it and say "meh" this guy isn't worth my time.....

I got my 2013 Raptor ordered for $200 over invoice. I also have a trade-in. I got pretty much what I wanted for my trade-in. Ultimately, my dealer will probably make $3k to $3.5k on me. To me that's perfectly acceptable for moving $65k of iron.

Keep in mind the dealership DOES take some risk when you order. You won't be signing a purchase agreement until there is a VIN. A VIN isn't created until production of your vehicle starts. (They might have you sign a purchase agreement but it isn't valid until there is a VIN on it.) Some dealerships might not even have you sign all the paperwork until you come and pick it up.

Last edited:

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct on salesman making money on volume more typically than price per. The other issue is that it's a business. Selling cars is like selling anything else. Each business is ran different, payroll, incentives, side deals, volume, overhead...etc. etc. Everybody thinks they get a great deal and some do better than others but in the end they make money on everyone. Unless you are running the P&Ls you'll never know.

ejlmoney

Reaction score
I'll add that most Sales Managers don't want to be the "bad guy" in front of their sales reps. If he sold you a vehicle, other reps may be upset that he effectively "took money out of their pockets". That doesn't foster a good working environment for the Sales Manager.

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ask Randy and this was his reply:

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Supercab with a MSRP of $45045.00 is $1321.00

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Supercab with a MSRP of $54030.00 is $1591.00

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Crewcab with a MSRP of $57655.00 is $1699.00

not saying he lied to you. i was wrong on the math earlier. sorry bout that. $48000 msrp would give $1440 holdback. if your msrp was a little over $53000 then $1600 would be right. heres another sitehttp://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/06/the-truth-about-dealer-holdback/

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I ask Randy and this was his reply:

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Supercab with a MSRP of $45045.00 is $1321.00

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Supercab with a MSRP of $54030.00 is $1591.00

Holdback on a 2012 Raptor Crewcab with a MSRP of $57655.00 is $1699.00

so 2.95% dealer holdback on total msrp on fords instead of 3%. i and edmunds stand corrected.

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
kind of a moot point now anyways. theres a dealer in KC who sells everything at $50 over invoice. theres a disclaimer on their website that says this doesnt apply to raptors and mustang gt500's, but i emailed a guy in sales and he said if i ORDER one ill get $50 over invoice, but not on raptors in stock. gonna see if my local dealer will come close to matching this, if not, ill do business in KC. woo-freakin-hoo!!!!