you do the math

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
starting to get myself pumped up to make the dreaded trip to the dealership to order my '13 raptor. always a daunting task, to say the least. lets see if you like my plan in its raw form. msrp is, after all, a suggested number.

lets arbitrarily assign msrp and invoice prices of $45000 and $41000, respectively. the dealer holdback in this case at 3% of total msrp would be about $1350, making the price to the dealer about $39650, since the truck wouldnt be spending any time on the lot, and the dealership would stand to realize the total amount of the holdback. even with a meager offer of, lets say, $300 over invoice, the dealerships profit here would be $1650 (less the costs they incur during the process, which unless theres more to it than meets the eye, would be minimal.)

i also plan to meet directly with the sales manager, essentially eliminating paying any sales commission. if they wish to allocate a portion of the profit to one of their sales staff for doing absolutley nothing, so be it. it may sound harsh, buts its my money, and i dont see the need to pay someone to give me less info on the truck than ive already aquired on sites like this one. :laughing1:

i understand the dealership needs to make a profit to stay in business, especially when selling vehicles as covetted as the raptor, but this seems like a win-win situation for both parties. heck, even selling at invoice in these situations is good business. im sure there are holes in my plan, so please feel free to point them out to me. i welcome any advice and education.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
we are all hearing how other people got these screamin prices on their raptor, but i think that it is a lot more common than you think. i told the dealer i was willing to pay up to $800 over invoice or i will make the long drive to the dealership that will sell it to me for $500 over invoice. i didnt try to bargain with them at all. they looked at me and said "as soon as we can order one, your name is on that list"

like the bugatti veyron, ford knows that they are not making money off of this truck. it was mainy a "look what we just built" truck, however since popularity is exponentially increasing, some dealers are jacking up the prices to try to make a few extra bucks. bt there are a lot of them that are willing to play ball

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 on order and got it at invoice. The salesman told me dealer hold-back is $1600 on the Raptor. Where are you? I am in VA and I order from dealership in NY. They sell all their raptors at invoice. No need for negotiations.

starting to get myself pumped up to make the dreaded trip to the dealership to order my '13 raptor. always a daunting task, to say the least. lets see if you like my plan in its raw form. msrp is, after all, a suggested number.

lets arbitrarily assign msrp and invoice prices of $45000 and $41000, respectively. the dealer holdback in this case at 3% of total msrp would be about $1350, making the price to the dealer about $39650, since the truck wouldnt be spending any time on the lot, and the dealership would stand to realize the total amount of the holdback. even with a meager offer of, lets say, $300 over invoice, the dealerships profit here would be $1650 (less the costs they incur during the process, which unless theres more to it than meets the eye, would be minimal.)

i also plan to meet directly with the sales manager, essentially eliminating paying any sales commission. if they wish to allocate a portion of the profit to one of their sales staff for doing absolutley nothing, so be it. it may sound harsh, buts its my money, and i dont see the need to pay someone to give me less info on the truck than ive already aquired on sites like this one. :laughing1:

i understand the dealership needs to make a profit to stay in business, especially when selling vehicles as covetted as the raptor, but this seems like a win-win situation for both parties. heck, even selling at invoice in these situations is good business. im sure there are holes in my plan, so please feel free to point them out to me. i welcome any advice and education.

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2013 on order and got it at invoice. The salesman told me dealer hold-back is $1600 on the Raptor. Where are you? I am in VA and I order from dealership in NY. They sell all their raptors at invoice. No need for negotiations.

then yours musta been $48000 msrp, cuz ford is 3% of total msrp holdback across the board, or so ive read. what did you have to pay to have it delivered to VA? surely you didnt drive up there to get it :okay2:

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am 350 miles from the dealership and I would drive 350 miles all day and every day to save 4K from MSRP. Would you not drive 350 miles and get invoice pricing?

And I am just repeating what the dealership told me >> "we get $1600 for dealer hold back on the raptor."

then yours musta been $48000 msrp, cuz ford is 3% of total msrp holdback across the board, or so ive read. what did you have to pay to have it delivered to VA? surely you didnt drive up there to get it :okay2:

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am 350 miles from the dealership and I would drive 350 miles all day and every day to save 4K from MSRP. Would you not drive 350 miles and get invoice pricing?

And I am just repeating what the dealership told me >> "we get $1600 for dealer hold back on the raptor."

well, hopefully i wont have to drive that far to get close to invoice. im in topeka, ks. only 1 dealership but plenty an hour away in KC. im with you, anybody that pays anything close to msrp, especially on a factory order, is nuts. but its not $1600 on every raptor. from edmunds
Dealer Holdback - Edmunds.com

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That article only says this >> "2-3% of MSRP is typical". I don't know for sure and you don't know for sure. I am sure Randy could tell us exactly how much hold-back is on the raptor. My salesman told me special trucks/cars like the raptor and the shelby mustang, they get more dealer hold-back than the typical car on the lot.

well, hopefully i wont have to drive that far to get close to invoice. im in topeka, ks. only 1 dealership but plenty an hour away in KC. im with you, anybody that pays anything close to msrp, especially on a factory order, is nuts. but its not $1600 on every raptor. from edmunds
Dealer Holdback - Edmunds.com

OP
OP
FreightTerrain

FreightTerrain

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That article only says this >> "2-3% of MSRP is typical". I don't know for sure and you don't know for sure. I am sure Randy could tell us exactly how much hold-back is on the raptor. My salesman told me special trucks/cars like the raptor and the shelby mustang, they get more dealer hold-back than the typical car on the lot.

scroll down. yur salesman is full of it

Raptor911

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Why would he lie to me when he already gave me invoice pricing?

Regardless, No need to argue about something that either of us knows nothing anything about.

I will ask Randy and get back to you.

scroll down. yur salesman is full of it

Last edited: