WWJD? Cooling upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 with 103k, hot AF NC temps, driven pretty hard with mix of back road hustling and long road trips at 85+.
It's due for new coolant and my question is whether it makes sense to upgrade to a Full Race radiator and trans cooler at this time.
On recent 12hr drive in moderate temps the coolant temp was displaying above the gauge. Display was in normal range but it caught my attention. I drive in sport and at speeds where there's basically constant boost. I'm sure the coolant isn't as effective as it would be with new.

FMIC is happening soon (FR or Cobb) in preparation for Stage 2 Goose so seems like good opportunity for full cooling system upgrade.

My question is: Is it necessary?

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If your radiator is good, i see no 'need' to swap it out. Get yourself a 170 degree thermostat and have Winfield program that in (so the fans kick on sooner) when you do your tune.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
2018 with 103k, hot AF NC temps, driven pretty hard with mix of back road hustling and long road trips at 85+.
It's due for new coolant and my question is whether it makes sense to upgrade to a Full Race radiator and trans cooler at this time.
On recent 12hr drive in moderate temps the coolant temp was displaying above the gauge. Display was in normal range but it caught my attention. I drive in sport and at speeds where there's basically constant boost. I'm sure the coolant isn't as effective as it would be with new.

FMIC is happening soon (FR or Cobb) in preparation for Stage 2 Goose so seems like good opportunity for full cooling system upgrade.

There is an excellent chance that your radiator air flow is blocked by road debris, due to age/miles. Mostly bugs, animal hair and plant matter.

Inspect and I am sure you will see. It is near impossible to clean out well. If you are going, FMIC I would do all the upgrades so you are "one and done"

OP
OP
BBR

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is an excellent chance that your radiator air flow is blocked by road debris, due to age/miles. Mostly bugs, animal hair and plant matter.

Inspect and I am sure you will see. It is near impossible to clean out well. If you are going, FMIC I would do all the upgrades so you are "one and done"

That’s pretty much my line of thinking.
Factor in that the stock radiator and trans cooler were subjected to the same value engineering as the intercooler and it’s hard to imagine how cooling couldn’t be improved.

JCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Having grown up in TX, I’ve never seen someone say “Gee, I really regret upgrading the cooling on my truck”.

I can tell a difference on my trans temp before / after the full race trans cooler, particularly when I am towing. The trans cooler is also very easy to change if you are doing an intercooler. Changing the radiator out looks like real work. I’ve got a Full Race radiator sitting in my garage, but I haven’t yet justified doing the swap.

Sunchild714

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Vegas and do Baja Trips in the summer. I experienced some High Temperature warnings and limp mode in the middle of the Baja Desert. All I did was swap my Thermostat for the 170 and all is good. I replace my coolant every trip and carefully pressure wash the bugs and debris out. All is good

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
With over 100K on the truck in question, @Sunchild714 has a good idea - clean the bugs and debris out of the existing radiator and see if it solves or mitigates the problem. I have not used a pressure washer to do it and would be hesitant to do so, but using one of those spray window washing attachments for the garden hose or spraying a cold radiator down with Simple Green and then hosing it out couldn't possibly do anything but good.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't found the OE radiator to be bad - I have had a FMIC for 6 years and no issue but I do run the 170 thermostat. I flushed my system at the 5 year mark and refilled with the newer yellow coolant.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oops, double post. I have been out in NV desert and service was ******. I didn't think it sent originally.