WTF!!?? Is This True!!?? Ford to Ship Incomplete Builds.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Several solutions to this:

4. Ford should offer an exclusive contract (at a premium) to get the components they need in the short term to complete existing orders. This will also cause profit loss but if a product can't be sold then the business isn't sustainable; especially if the customer base disappears.

You can't buy what's not available. They could offer whatever they want but when these cheap, cheap products are made in China, and China isn't working a lot right now, you just can't get them. Some of these designs are 20-30 years old but they are made for $.02-.04 a piece so no one has EVER seen the need to change the design. Until now, finally we as a country are recognizing how much we depend on China for these trivial little daily items and even FOrd is building its own plant right now to make them, themselves. I hope others follow suit, this will take years to get off the ground but the end game is less reliance on China. I was in this industry for several years until our plant caught fire and they never rebuilt. Everything moved to China. We made 6-8 different designs of these cheap products that went on everything from small kid's electronics to Apple and Samsung phones.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You can't buy what's not available. They could offer whatever they want but when these cheap, cheap products are made in China, and China isn't working a lot right now, you just can't get them. Some of these designs are 20-30 years old but they are made for $.02-.04 a piece so no one has EVER seen the need to change the design. Until now, finally we as a country are recognizing how much we depend on China for these trivial little daily items and even FOrd is building its own plant right now to make them, themselves. I hope others follow suit, this will take years to get off the ground but the end game is less reliance on China. I was in this industry for several years until our plant caught fire and they never rebuilt. Everything moved to China. We made 6-8 different designs of these cheap products that went on everything from small kid's electronics to Apple and Samsung phones.

I am skeptical that we really follow through and change our dependency on Chinese goods. It's certainly logical to do that, but there will be too many reasons to continue buying cheap Chinese goods once supply issues are resolved.

Manufacturing in the US means that you'll have to pay higher wages and deal with unions. The government will place additional regulations for lablor safety, etc. Electrical costs will be much more expensive since China has no problem with dirty coal and so forth. Sure, it makes sense to diversify so that you are not dependent on any one source for goods, but when it costs 2-3 times more to produce in the US, you'll likely have to abandon US manufacturing to stay competitive.

You could argue that the pandemic has opened up the possibility of reinvigorating US manufacturing, and it has. But the government can easily kill that, just as they have done before. And they will happily do it again if it means winning votes.

isldtime

Reaction score
SOOO glad I got my 2020 in Aug. 2020 for under MSRP.
Feel bad for those waiting or on the fence.
Really bites!!

beachz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped by my dealer last month and they have 6 '21s in their locked overflow lots that are purchased and sitting on chip hold. I have no idea how long that they anticipate they will sit there and didn't ask. I guess the good news is the owners can go rub it on the weekend. :) Conjugal visits... my buddy purchased a "manakin" Bronco from a local dealer and he got several of those visits before they released it for purchase.

Grayson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

For the right price, everything becomes available. China is working and the Chinese are hard working people for the most part. This shortage is more than likely China using economic warfare due to strong arm trade relations under Trump and the Chinese government doesn't respect the Biden administration.

98Craig

Reaction score
Just curious, anyone cancel their order (or know someone who has) over this? I've heard a lot of hypothetical, but not anyone actually cancelling.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For the right price, everything becomes available. China is working and the Chinese are hard working people for the most part. This shortage is more than likely China using economic warfare due to strong arm trade relations under Trump and the Chinese government doesn't respect the Biden administration.

More than likely? You don't think the fire at that chip factory or all the effects of the pandemic has on labor, manufacturing, shipping has anything to do with it? Not sure I can buy the theory that China wants to intentionally limit supply of goods to the US and elsewhere. Yes, it hurts the US economy in the short term, but also pushed the US to look to manufacturing and sources from other sources...exactly what's happening. China's long term plan has been to build economic dependence on China. Not only does it build their own economic strength and sphere of influence, but it helps prevent the world from sanctioning them for human rights violations and such...so they don't end up like North Korea.

Besides, if they didn't like the trade relations under Trump ( I agree) I would think they would want things to appear good under Biden....so the US is less likely to elect another Trump.

crc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a Custom Home Builder in Dallas TX area and supply chain is only getting worse . The labor market is also very tight , hold on !

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
More than likely? You don't think the fire at that chip factory or all the effects of the pandemic has on labor, manufacturing, shipping has anything to do with it? Not sure I can buy the theory that China wants to intentionally limit supply of goods to the US and elsewhere.
Yeah, they are just not available no matter the price. The only thing to do would be to halt domestic Chinese production to sell that supply of chips (most likely wafers) to the US so we can produce things domestic. They are not willing to slow their own domestic production down in order to boost ours, that is a fact.