Worth pulling the engine for multiple upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Yeah like Gumby said, if you’re not afraid to blow it up, LKQ has tons of super duty’s with 6.2s, and they only charge $500 per engine if you pull it yourself. I always was told to never boost an engine over 50k miles because you’d send a rod out sooner or later.

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
So I’m a little confused, the thousands of SC Roush and Whipple charged Gen 1s all have strengthened internals…..or they all have blown up and are rebuilds….or are all time bombs and the dozens I’ve seen listed here with 122k-170k miles all are a rarity ? Like I said, the 700hp seems obviously at the outer limits, but the 590 kit, with headers seemed realistic (I don’t plan to beat on it).

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I personally Don't think you will have a problem, I would do the oil pump for sure. Pop off a rod cap or 2 Might as well take a look. I have seen guys put huge NOS kits on Junk and Run the crap out of them. if you tuned well and have good oil. I say it will stay together. JMO. Up to 700

Really comes down to the tune go a little lean.....Window!! loose oil....Window.....twist it up to far... Suck a valve....Window. But you are not building a Drag car. I think you will be fine and will be fun to drive. You will pass everything BUT the Gas station.

Last edited:

Canuck714

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So I’m a little confused, the thousands of SC Roush and Whipple charged Gen 1s all have strengthened internals…..or they all have blown up and are rebuilds….or are all time bombs and the dozens I’ve seen listed here with 122k-170k miles all are a rarity ? Like I said, the 700hp seems obviously at the outer limits, but the 590 kit, with headers seemed realistic (I don’t plan to beat on it).
If you are pulling the 6.2 to add long tubes and a blower, 100% do the oil pump, spark plugs, maybe do water pump and alternator while you have everything apart etc.
A good JDM tune at 600hp and drive it... Make sure you run good fuel and keep the oil clean (5/30)

After beating on mine for 125K miles the only thing I ever thought about was breaking a valve spring as that has happened a couple times on 6.2's

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the “shop manual” calls for time to pull the engine? Trying to figure out if it’s more or less work (and less pain) than doing each separately.

WHBD

Reaction score
Yeah like Gumby said, if you’re not afraid to blow it up, LKQ has tons of super duty’s with 6.2s, and they only charge $500 per engine if you pull it yourself. I always was told to never boost an engine over 50k miles because you’d send a rod out sooner or later.
Would you mind shooting me or linking where you can find this pull a 6.2 yourself for $500? I'm at 228k on mine and while it has been essentially flawless, I always have dropped valves on my mind.

jdm_sixtwo

11MPG is average, right?
Reaction score
Would you mind shooting me or linking where you can find this pull a 6.2 yourself for $500? I'm at 228k on mine and while it has been essentially flawless, I always have dropped valves on my mind.
IMG_0226.png
Check the stock of your local LKQ and see if they have a super duty with the 6.2. Their pricing says it’ll only run ya $595 if you pull it yourself and it’s got a 90 day warranty too. I’ve seen a few 6.2 trucks go through my local LKQs.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed all the youtube videos doing a gen 1 SC install conveniently skip the part where they get to the back of the motor, then suddenly they are done and it's running down the highway. Thats never a good sign.