Worth pulling the engine for multiple upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justbob

Reaction score
So I have wanted to put SC on my 2014 Raptor since I've bought it. From my research it seems like its more about time than complexity to do myself (minus the bolt in the very back of the SC against the firewall). I've looked at JDM's 700 Hp set up and feel like that is pushing all of the internals to the limit. That said, I feel like a set of headers with their "Stage 1" is a good compromise. Given the write ups of how hard it is to install the headers, the same for changing all the plugs and going with a set of colder plugs for safety....and upgrading the oil pump for insurance purposes, has anyone simply pulled the engine to do all three at once ?
I have pulled engines before but on older cars and trucks with less accessories/electronics. I cant seem to find what the "book" time is listed for pulling the 6.2, but if the headers are 10-15 hour job, the SC is a 8-9 hour job and then it seems like pulling the engine would cut those times down dramatically and save me a lot of headache (and back ache) up front.

Thoughts ? Experience ?

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
What do you mean “freshen up” ? The truck has 68k miles so I didn’t see any need to pull the heads for anything. I figured I’d probably do radiator hoses and thermostat at a minimum, never seen anything on the water pump by way of issues so wasn’t planning on that.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it were me, and I did pull the motor, I would at minimum re-ring it, new bearings and seals and for sure the water pump. Belts, hoses, plugs and wires, all fluids through out, radiator flush or even an upgrade there for all the extra heat you’re going to make.
You’re increasing HP by 75%, that motor needs to be right or it’s a boat anchor.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
If it were me, and I did pull the motor, I would at minimum re-ring it, new bearings and seals and for sure the water pump. Belts, hoses, plugs and wires, all fluids through out, radiator flush or even an upgrade there for all the extra heat you’re going to make.
You’re increasing HP by 75%, that motor needs to be right or it’s a boat anchor.

On this I would probably add stronger connecting rods, billet oil pump and ARP head studs.

OP
OP
J

Justbob

Reaction score
I wasn’t trying to “build” the engine, more like save time and cover a few extra things while doing so.

Anyone have an estimate on pulling the motor?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My suggestion pull it do the oil pump bolt your stuff on and SEND IT. All you can do is blow it up and it sounds like you are not afraid of that. This was my thoughts when I bought a Roush with 170k on it all it can do is blow up and I can fix that!!!! KNOCK KNOCK. But blocks are out there. As far as how long it will take to get it out I have no clue. I would guess 6-8 hours? but It will not take you that Long. If you have to do it again.