With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
EDIT: I will add my own opinion on how it should work
Dealers get a fixed supply of stock allocations for demos and the buy off the lot crowd. Retail allocations are first come first serve between ford corporate and the customer, the customer then takes that allocation and can shop it around to dealers to be the delivery dealer of choice and the incremental margin of selling a new vehicle.

I mostly agree with this. However, if you have a reservation directly with Ford, I'm not sure it makes sense as a 'retail allocaiton' per se, but that's semantics. Ford would commit to making so many vehicles a year, and when the reservations are full, you roll over to the next year.

More importantly, I like a customer being able to choose what dealership he wants to work through. I would have the price for all of these to be MSRP. Dealers don't need extra ADM for this, nor do they have to win the deal by selling below invoice. No cost to hold the vehicle on the lot. They compete for these sales by customer service only. If a customer falls through on the deal, then the dealership can take it or reject for another dealer to pick up. That vehicle cannot be sold above MSRP though. We don't want deaperships sabotaging deals just to so they make another deal with ADM.

Littlefx4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this. However, if you have a reservation directly with Ford, I'm not sure it makes sense as a 'retail allocaiton' per se, but that's semantics. Ford would commit to making so many vehicles a year, and when the reservations are full, you roll over to the next year.

More importantly, I like a customer being able to choose what dealership he wants to work through. I would have the price for all of these to be MSRP. Dealers don't need extra ADM for this, nor do they have to win the deal by selling below invoice. No cost to hold the vehicle on the lot. They compete for these sales by customer service only. If a customer falls through on the deal, then the dealership can take it or reject for another dealer to pick up. That vehicle cannot be sold above MSRP though. We don't want deaperships sabotaging deals just to so they make another deal with ADM.
With that said, when are you breaking ground on your store location? :anitoof:

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being from michigan (rust belt). I still see dodge trucks rusting around the rear wheel wells and rear bumpers. after 5-6 years. yes I guess they could be those who dont wash their vehicles regularly but, non the less I don't see as many Ford's or Chevy's rusting as quick. I am in construction and I see far more rams rusted when you compare age. I know my experience is limited but that swayed my decision for sure. A little more money for a vehicle that can withstand rust (presumably) is better for me at least. this might all be my perception but thats my reason and I am sticking to it.

T8ter

Reaction score
I’m assuming part of it is due to the economy. Interest rates are sky rocketing. Less people are buying gas guzzling vehicles now. I average 17-20 on the highway with my 21 Raptor, but I don’t think I’ve heard of a TRX getting above 12-14 on the highway. This is also the 1st GEN of TRX trucks. They aren’t as refined as the Raptor line is. Some of it probably boils down to people realizing what they need vs what they want. I’d say over half the people that buy either of these trucks keep them as street queens. No point in spending all the extra money on fuel and insurance for power you won’t use type thing.

Teghogh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn’t make any sense. You can have a vase trx for 70k or a raptor R for 50k more. How can ram keep manufacturing trx without allocation where I’m still waiting on an order from last December is beyond me

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I’m assuming part of it is due to the economy. Interest rates are sky rocketing. Less people are buying gas guzzling vehicles now. I average 17-20 on the highway with my 21 Raptor, but I don’t think I’ve heard of a TRX getting above 12-14 on the highway. This is also the 1st GEN of TRX trucks. They aren’t as refined as the Raptor line is. Some of it probably boils down to people realizing what they need vs what they want. I’d say over half the people that buy either of these trucks keep them as street queens. No point in spending all the extra money on fuel and insurance for power you won’t use type thing.
You’re not wrong about fuel economy. 14mpg’s in my TRX almost never happens. Jump above 70mph and it’s around 13mpg at best, where my 2020 Raptor was around 17mpg.

I did around 11,000 miles in my first year of ownership with the TRX. I would guess I averaged around 12mpg during that time. I‘d guess a Raptor would be around 16mpg.

11,000 / 13 = 846ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $4,230
11,000 / 16 = 688ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $3,440
So roughly $800 a year more in gas

The bigger frustration with a TRX is not the pay to play, but it’s less range per tank. In town it doesn’t really matter, but on longer road trips or in the woods it’s more frustrating. I’d regularly see 500 miles per tank on my Raptor, where the TRX is around 350 miles. I have a 650 mile road trip (one way) coming up, and I’m already thinking about my fuel stops. In the Raptor I just got in and drove. If there is a true weakness with the TRX, it’s miles per tank.

dvm

Reaction score
You’re not wrong about fuel economy. 14mpg’s in my TRX almost never happens. Jump above 70mph and it’s around 13mpg at best, where my 2020 Raptor was around 17mpg.

I did around 11,000 miles in my first year of ownership with the TRX. I would guess I averaged around 12mpg during that time. I‘d guess a Raptor would be around 16mpg.

11,000 / 13 = 846ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $4,230
11,000 / 16 = 688ish gallons @ $5 a gallon = $3,440
So roughly $800 a year more in gas

The bigger frustration with a TRX is not the pay to play, but it’s less range per tank. In town it doesn’t really matter, but on longer road trips or in the woods it’s more frustrating. I’d regularly see 500 miles per tank on my Raptor, where the TRX is around 350 miles. I have a 650 mile road trip (one way) coming up, and I’m already thinking about my fuel stops. In the Raptor I just got in and drove. If there is a true weakness with the TRX, it’s miles per tank.
I would agree with this completely. My gen 2 could easily get about 550-600 miles per tank. My TRX the best I’ve seen was 410. However no matter the trip either truck can outlast my wife’s bladder. So to me it doesn’t matter that much.

Now waiting for my R.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter