With the price of TRx, why are folks paying ADM for raptors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you think the trx is selling under msrp and it really depends on what options are on it. My coworker managed to get one but is paying over 100k for hers. I think msrp is $69k-$94k
Because it is. I’m not sure why she’s paying that much but you can buy them under MSRP at multiple dealers and at MSRP at many more.

MattR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get a Raptor at MSRP if you work at it.......Raptor is just a better vehicle period. TRX is a fun 1/4 mile street truck for sure but that's it.
To be fair, the TRX guys are doing pretty well at some of the runs.

They make up for corners and rough terrain in straight areas and don’t suck over washboards. Jumps and turns leave a lot to be desired but I would assume they come up with some way to lessen the nose droop. Once aftermarket hits the TRX better, they will be competing with the Raptor.

Then drops the R haha.

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I went from a 2020 Raptor to a 2021 TRX. I liked the Raptor, but the TRX was a better fit for me. That doesn’t make it a better truck overall, just better for me. I’m never going to jump my truck off road. My off-road is mainly old Forrest Service Roads and rough terrain that a standard 1/2 ton could do. I love the sound of the TRX over my old Raptor, and the interior is better over a 2nd Gen Raptor.

That said, the TRX is a fuel thirsty fat bastard. You have to accept that the TRX has around 100 miles less of range (or more) when cruising on the highway. On a trip to San Juan Islands and back the Raptor averaged 17mpg’s while the TRX averaged 13mpg’s. Each trip was around 1,200 miles. Basically the TRX used 22 more gallons of gas, which is around $100 more for the total trip (actual difference may vary depending on current fuel rates).

Some people are Ford people. Some people are Ram people. Some people are Chevy people. To me the ADM for the Raptor isn’t worth it, but to some it might be. I have huge respect for the Raptor, and can’t say a bad thing about the year I spent with mine (other than the fake engine sound piped into the cab). Head to head, the Raptor and the TRX are pretty even when pushed off road.

The Raptor R is where things get interesting (and massive ADM’s as well). That will be one hell of a truck!

I guess to sum things up, they are both great trucks. People should quit the pissing match and buy the one that fits their needs and budget the best.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there’s a few reasons:
-Stellantis was less affected by chip / part shortages.
-TRX has been out longer.
-Slightly different dealer model. I can’t find the article explaining the difference but Stellantis has a different retail order system and basically will build it if there is an order. Ford has only just now started doing a retail reservation system (not yet on Raptors) - at least for now we are at the mercy of them providing allocations to dealers based on individual or region performance. I think that causes inefficiencies for consumers but is more fair to dealers (all Ford really cares about).
The retail allocation systems are different in a very specific way and it while demand is definitely a factor it makes it much easier for the trx pricing to be driven down
I am probably not covering all the nuances but this is the jist
-TRX (and other stellanis perf vehicles) dealers get limited stock allocation based on some sales history formula and a starting point for retail allocations. HOWEVER for every retail allocation they sell (not order) they get another one. So dealers are incentivized to deal a bit so they can get more vehicles. Stellanis biggest issue is dealers faking customer info for more lot cars. It’s also why trx more likely to be on a lot, why buy now from a dealer when you can order and get it your way
-ford dealers get limited number of stock allocations AND a specific limited number of retail allocations. Theoretically this should make the dealers more willing to deal on retail allocations because there must be a customer lined up. However the market is still out of balance enough that unlike trx where a dealer at msrp or below can absorb “more than their fair share” of orders just to get more trucks, once a “good” ford dealer at msrp is out of retail allocations they just can’t get any more even if a customer would prefer to order from them than the “bad” dealer 20 miles away that is 20k over msrp

EDIT: I will add my own opinion on how it should work
Dealers get a fixed supply of stock allocations for demos and the buy off the lot crowd. Retail allocations are first come first serve between ford corporate and the customer, the customer then takes that allocation and can shop it around to dealers to be the delivery dealer of choice and the incremental margin of selling a new vehicle.

Last edited:

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because it is. I’m not sure why she’s paying that much but you can buy them under MSRP at multiple dealers and at MSRP at many more.
Can you provide links or price tags? Finding hard to believe you see any

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's common knowledge and all over the TRX forums. I have a quote
in my inbox for a level 2 TRX for $89k.
You can order them under MSRP and/or at MSRP from a handful of dealers. You can't just buy one off the lot for MSRP. Just like you can order a Raptor at MSRP, but buying one off the lot for MSRP is like finding a unicorn.

Xlover explained the differences between the ordering processes the best. Ford dealers simply get a set amount while Ram will build a truck for every sold order they get.

Raptorial

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can order them under MSRP and/or at MSRP from a handful of dealers. You can't just buy one off the lot for MSRP. Just like you can order a Raptor at MSRP, but buying one off the lot for MSRP is like finding a unicorn.

Xlover explained the differences between the ordering processes the best. Ford dealers simply get a set amount while Ram will build a truck for every sold order they get.
Yea but Ram is turning around new orders in 6-8 weeks. Not 6-8 months....or worst lol

Dudebrodude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea but Ram is turning around new orders in 6-8 weeks. Not 6-8 months....or worst lol
Haha it has gotten much better but my 22 TRX took around 5 months with me having some connections at Ram corporate. Some people waited almost a year.

Ford seems to be quick if you have a guaranteed allocation, otherwise you wait a year ha. Buddy of mine has a 37pp on order since December of last year with no updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter