Wiring back up lights to stock wires...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubbaRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What color is the wire in the tail lights for the reverse lights? I dont want to wire my lights into a uplifter, just need em when im in reverse. ive looked around on the forum, and just need someone to help find the exact wire and the best way to get there so wires arent sticking out... Thanks!

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
What color is the wire in the tail lights for the reverse lights? I dont want to wire my lights into a uplifter, just need em when im in reverse. ive looked around on the forum, and just need someone to help find the exact wire and the best way to get there so wires arent sticking out... Thanks!

sorry i can't be of more help, but why not just pop off your tail light and see what color the wires are going to your reverse light bulb?

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
x3

You are going to have to pull the tail light housing out of the truck to do the work you want to do anyway, so it doesn't matter what color the wires for the backup lights are. They'll be readily identifiable because you know which bulb is the backup bulb, and the wires to the socket for that bulb are the ones you want.

eissiendraken

Reaction score
I have done this a couple of months ago, White w/Black strip if I remember correctly going to the backup light socket. If you can wait a couple of days I will take the light off and verify plus snap a few so you can see.

whtrapta

Ostrich Wrangler
Reaction score
You can tap into the stock reverse lights, or the middle wire in the tow plug. There are the 6 wires in a circle and 1 in the middle. Tap into the middle one.

Ranger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the middle wire is just for rear running lights, not reverse. AFAIK there are no reverse lights on either the 4 pin or 7 pin trailer wiring.

Has any confirmed the easiest way to add supplemental reverse lights? I'd like to add some much brighter reverse lights. I just ordered a Superbumper (SUPERBUMPER Hitch Step - Stops Rear End Collision Damage.) and I thought I would somehow modify the superbumper to add some LED flood lights for reversing, so I'm looking for the easiest way to wire them up.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the middle wire is just for rear running lights, not reverse. AFAIK there are no reverse lights on either the 4 pin or 7 pin trailer wiring.

Has any confirmed the easiest way to add supplemental reverse lights? I'd like to add some much brighter reverse lights. I just ordered a Superbumper (SUPERBUMPER Hitch Step - Stops Rear End Collision Damage.) and I thought I would somehow modify the superbumper to add some LED flood lights for reversing, so I'm looking for the easiest way to wire them up.

The 7 pin connector does have a pin that powers reverse lights. The wire color going into the connector assembly at the back of the truck is grey with a brown tracer.

sandygar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The middle wire in the 7 pin connector is back up for sure, I have my vision x led light bars for reverse wired from there-works fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jumpcutter