Winter Driving in 4WD High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
While there's nothing wrong with engaging/disengaging 4wd shift on the fly... THAT WILL tear up your IWE's a little bit every time as they have to basically mesh teeth (hub gear is at whatever speed, IWE engagement gear is stationary as are axles until meshed properly). Besides the IWEs your fine doing that.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While there's nothing wrong with engaging/disengaging 4wd shift on the fly... THAT WILL tear up your IWE's a little bit every time as they have to basically mesh teeth (hub gear is at whatever speed, IWE engagement gear is stationary as are axles until meshed properly). Besides the IWEs your fine doing that.

You are right.
I should have added that if I CAN wait until I'm stopped at a sign or light, that's when ill try and shift, just for that reason. More so engaging 4wd then getting it out.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One question about switching to 4x4 :

- I always try to stop or go at very little speed when switch to 4Hi, turns the switch, 4x4 High appears immediatly on the dashboard but how much time does it really take to switch on the IWEs ? I thought the 4x4High symbol should flash then stay when fully engaged ?

As when going to 4x4 to 2H, the 4x4High symbol disappears then you have the 4x2 symbol and it finally goes off, so I know it's fully disengaged right ?

Never tried on the fly at high speed...

Sorry for my bad english :crazy:

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I shift on the fly unless I'm stopped anyways,, mine takes a sec or two to engage after the light (you can feel it) but you're right it takes some time to disengage sometimes.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there's no way to know when it's really engaged unless you just wait a few seconds after 4x4 High icon appears ? Read on FRF it could take up to 10-12 sec but maybe I misunderstood or this was just a precaution not to slam the gas pedal to early...

About switching on the fly, on a recent truck I guess you shouldn't feel any problem, but like many said, the longevity of your IWE's may be shortened...That said I'm no mechanic so that's just my two cents...

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
One question about switching to 4x4 :

- I always try to stop or go at very little speed when switch to 4Hi, turns the switch, 4x4 High appears immediatly on the dashboard but how much time does it really take to switch on the IWEs ? I thought the 4x4High symbol should flash then stay when fully engaged ?

As when going to 4x4 to 2H, the 4x4High symbol disappears then you have the 4x2 symbol and it finally goes off, so I know it's fully disengaged right ?

Never tried on the fly at high speed...

Sorry for my bad english :crazy:

Technically, everything SHOULD be engaged or disengaged in the 5-10 seconds after flipping the knob. But unfortunately there is no sensor on the IWEs that would confirm if they are engaged or not. The IWEs can very vary "sluggish" if the diaphragm is contaminated with dirt over the years or if the weather is cold as they are only engaged/disengaged by vacuum pressure.

Really it comes down to the situation.. Personally, if I can stop, switch to engage/disengage 4wd, wait 30seconds, roll forward some and then go, that's about the best you could do. But unfortunately its not a perfect world and sometimes you need 4wd right now and will have to shift on the fly. (I'm guilty of it too) :)

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So there's no way to know when it's really engaged unless you just wait a few seconds after 4x4 High icon appears ? Read on FRF it could take up to 10-12 sec but maybe I misunderstood or this was just a precaution not to slam the gas pedal to early...

About switching on the fly, on a recent truck I guess you shouldn't feel any problem, but like many said, the longevity of your IWE's may be shortened...That said I'm no mechanic so that's just my two cents...

It does take a little time sometimes, I can feel when it's really on or off in the steering wheel.