Winter Driving in 4WD High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go try it.

Only difference is that it'll be a bitch to steer.

No jumping no nothing. Only time you get that is if you lock the rear diff otherwise the Torsen based raptors are all open diffs.

I see you joined in June, I wonder how 6 months makes you an expert with your truck

Hahahahahah, i've actually only had the truck for about 4 months. But that's inconsequential because I know how a 4x4 system operates and how an AWD system operates.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hahahahahah, i've actually only had the truck for about 4 months. But that's inconsequential because I know how a 4x4 system operates and how an AWD system operates.

Apparently not because you are still incorrect in regards to the Torsen diff in the raptor.

Not all 4x4 systems are the same

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with front and rear diffs open the transfer case is locked. You will get windup between front and rear drive shafts. Front wheels do not spin the same amount as rear.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Even with front and rear diffs open the transfer case is locked. You will get windup between front and rear drive shafts. Front wheels do not spin the same amount as rear.

How do two wheels of exact size with matching diff fears not spin at the same amount?

hagak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are never exact, and turning front will not follow the exact track as rear, check your tracks.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently not because you are still incorrect in regards to the Torsen diff in the raptor.

Not all 4x4 systems are the same

The fact that it's some fancy locker up front is a moot point. It's the tcase being locked which causes the binding.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have to pee my **** is big says my wife and I ate old cheese have a bad tast in my mouth. Just drive straight and you don't have to worry.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are never exact, and turning front will not follow the exact track as rear, check your tracks.

Exactly - that is why you need that 'slip angle' aka slippery road surface to help prevent damage.

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Also when turning, at any degree, the inside wheels, of any turn will rotate less than the outside wheels. The outside wheels have a longer distance (or wider radius) to travel than the inner wheels. That is why when say, the rear diff is locked on pavement, and tight turns are made, the wheels will skid, skip, etc... Same deal with 4hi/lo.

In a straight line, there's no problem, all wheels are rotating at the same speed.

Hoverp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like 4 hi , use it ALOT here in MT. I just drove 325 miles on mixed snow, snow drifts, ice , wet , dry and slush. Pretty much had it all. Now one reason I like 4 hi on the highway is from the extreme cross winds we get here in the Eastern half of MT. The wind always seems to be 90 degrees to the road, and constantly slowing down and speeding up for corners , critters, and traffic, 4hi helps to keep the back end from breaking loose on the slippery stuff when trying to accelerate moderately with the xwinds.

Anyway, I never run 4 hi on dry paved roads, ( not that going to 4 hi going straight is going to explode the case, but if it's snow, ice, or mixed dry and snow , or dirt then if I need it I will. I don't take slow really tight corners in 4wd unless the surface will let my tires slip ., I use 4hi in town, driving around, and if I need to I just stay off the throttle and go to 2 wd, let if shift, then gently get back on the throttle, same for going into 4wd, off throttle, shift, ensure its engaged and back on the throttle, I never shift into or out of 4wd under a driveline load if I can help it. Which I almost always can.

Last edited: