Winter Driving in 4WD High

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fb73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as the road is wet, in 4WD Hi the wheels will have enough skip, but on dry pavement you can really feel the front wheels struggling in sharp turns...

That said, in snowy conditions I would go 4WD Hi, better safe than end your trip in a ditch...

BAJASVT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Personally I only use 4 high if the road / highway is snow covered (in my previous vehicles) as I have yet to drive my Raptor.

I will likely continue to do so.

I have never broken anything but also don't like the sound/feeling when in 4 high and turning on dry pavement.

Just feels wrong.

Same here... I only run the truck in 4H if the road is snow covered. If the road is hit or miss with changing conditions (wet/dry/snow) I may leave it in 4H on straight roads, but always switch back to 2H for any significant turns even on just wet pavement. This is my 4th 2004+ F-150 and haven't had any 4X4 or IWE issues with any of them.

EternalChampion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damaging the truck by rolling it in the ditch is far worse for it...and you than any theoretical damage from driving in 4H on a non-slippery surface. Safety first.

I've literally driven 100k miles in 4H in inclement weather on dry surfaces with no problems. Ever.

lka

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damaging the truck by rolling it in the ditch is far worse for it...and you than any theoretical damage from driving in 4H on a non-slippery surface. Safety first.

I've literally driven 100k miles in 4H in inclement weather on dry surfaces with no problems. Ever.

Me too, I average 100m a day when working and have many times left a truck in 4h I have my employees do the same and have never had issues.. Sometimes in the jeep I'll drive in 2d in crappy roads and only switch if stuck but the jeep can smash into snow berms and what-not and not do any body damage. To be honest I've never heard anyone question the health of 4d until joining this forum. I've heard from people who's trucks broke from never putting them into 4wd... I always use 4h going up my driveway in rain and sometimes when it's dry and going up in reverse.

GabAlmighty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the road is somewhat slick it should allow sufficient slip between the tires to not damage anything.

Wrong,

The raptor has open diffs. No matter if you are in 4wd hi or 2 wheel all wheels will rotate at any speed they want.

Only thing that locks in the raptor is the rear diff. You can drive in 4hi all day everyday and other than normal wear and tear from being in 4hi and a loss of mpg your perfectly fine.

Just... Stop. Go put your truck in 4H/L in a dry parking lot and let it idle around in a circle and then let me know how it feels... 4x4 is not AWD, main difference between the two is a locking centre diff (case). That being said if you enjoying busting CV's and shit go right ahead haha.

Last edited:

rptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never needed to use 4hi while on snow blown paved roads. Usually 4hi/4lo off the beaten path with 4 feet of snow. My 40x14.50x17 kevlar MtRs are awesome!
24psi highway during the winter never have my rear end slip in 2 wheel drive.
And 4psi off on the trail i float thru the deep stuff.
I gots a atlas tcase too so it does a wonderfull job gearing down the truck when i need to 4lo float over snow.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the road is somewhat slick it should allow sufficient slip between the tires to not damage anything.

Just... Stop. Go put your truck in 4H/L in a dry parking lot and let it idle around in a circle and then let me know how it feels... 4x4 is not AWD, main difference between the two is a locking centre diff (case). That being said if you enjoying busting CV's and shit go right ahead haha.

Go try it.

Only difference is that it'll be a bitch to steer.

No jumping no nothing. Only time you get that is if you lock the rear diff otherwise the Torsen based raptors are all open diffs.

I see you joined in June, I wonder how 6 months makes you an expert with your truck

Taxman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OP probably already went on his trip, but for future reference, there is usually no need for 4WD (high or low) when on highways in any state below Ohio, even if it's snowing. The snow in NC and VA is usually mild enough that it won't cause driving conditions treacherous enough to warrant the use of 4WD.

The northern states and in Canada, however, that's a different story. Even the best highways in Canada, when driving through a white-out storm, can be treacherous and will warrant 4WD hi. I did that for two years and never got used to it. White-knuckle driving conditions from December to March in Northern Ontario. I always kept some toilet paper and an extra pair of underwear with me when driving during the winter.

I'm glad to be back in NC, where the snow is fairly mild and there's usually no need for 4WD unless on unpaved roads in the mountains, or during [really] heavy snowfall.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Huh. I genuinely doubt that advice about driving a 4x4 on the road in snowy conditions can be any good at all if it's based upon geography or latitude. In my experience you drive the conditions you're faced with, and just where in the world that happens to be isn't even a tertiary concern.

I don't have as much snow driving experience in my Raptor as many here, but we've had three major snowfalls this winter in Nevada and I've found that in mixed conditions (alternating bare and snow-covered pavement) the Raptor does just fine in 2WD. I only use 4WD when I need it. I have indeed needed it, and when conditions warrant 4WD binding the driveline isn't (and can't!) be an issue.

I have found, and this is a cautionary note, that 4WD can be a little seductive in that it can give you a false sense of confidence on the road. 4WD does nothing for stopping.

And remember: "It is better to have an emergency than an accident." :)